When the Outside is Zero Degrees F and the wind is 10 MPH what heat setting (or Lbs per Hr) do you u

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

It will be 0 Deg F tonight and the wind here is 10 MPH, which gives a windchill of - 10 deg F (Minus 10 Deg F)

What heat setting will you use on your pellet stove for this temp?

I will be using Heat setting 5 out of 6 when it reaches zero and if it stays there a while of goes below then I may be using 6 !!!!
This will heat the 2k split with the pellet stove installed in the basement.

The chart below shows the Pellet Stove Heat Settings we use with the Air Restrictor on 2, and the Convection Fan on 6 (Highest)

Outside Wind Speed
Temp (F) +or-5 MPH
+or-5 5 10 20
Degrees

00 4 5 6
10 3 4 5
20 2 3 4
30 1 2 3
Astoria Heat Setting (1-6)

Heat Burn
Setting Rate (Lbs/Hour)
1 1.7
2 2.46
3 3.22
4 3.98
5 4.74
6 5.5

Attachments

• PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 726
  • ColdTempurates01-20-2011-Forecast.jpg
    ColdTempurates01-20-2011-Forecast.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 707
  • AstoriaChart.jpg
    AstoriaChart.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 135
Hello

Well it is really hard to predict temperatures exactly and they vary from town to town and with geographical topology
so here is the actuals for this split entry home in sNH last night with little wind (Less than 5 mph):

Last night the outside temperature went down to a min of 3 deg F.

The basement min where the pellet stove is located went down to 81 deg F.

The attic above the insulated floor went down to 43 deg F

So the pellet stove remained at Heat Setting 3 which is 3.22 lbs per hour !!

The coolest part of the upstairs in the master bedroom only went down to 65 deg F
The temp upstairs was between 65 - 70 deg F all night !!
The house did not feel cool or drafty since the gables were blocked!!

So for the 12 hours last night the pellet stove used 3.22 x 12 or 38.64 lbs which is just about 1 bag of wood pellets !!!

Pic below of 1 bag of Greene Team Pellets for $3.74 currently at Lowe's in Salem NH

Attachments

• WPGreenTeamSC.jpg
    WPGreenTeamSC.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 663
This morning I set the Europa in the showroom in setting 4 instead of 3. It will heat about 1500 sf at 3lbs per hour or so. I do that when it gets down in the teens. The rest of the time 2lbs per hour (setting 3) is all it takes.

Franks said:
This morning I set the Europa in the showroom in setting 4 instead of 3. It will heat about 1500 sf at 3lbs per hour or so. I do that when it gets down in the teens. The rest of the time 2lbs per hour (setting 3) is all it takes.

Any idea what the consumption curve looks like? If its 3lbs per hour in the teens, what would the rate be in the 40s, 30s, 20s and what will it be this coming Monday morning? Is the building fairly airtight? If so, does wind still make a big difference?

I just leave the thermostat on 70 and add fuel as needed. It can be -20 here with no wind and the stove will burn less then if it was +20 with the wind howling.

rona said:
I just leave the thermostat on 70 and add fuel as needed. It can be -20 here with no wind and the stove will burn less then if it was +20 with the wind howling.

Yep, and for some reason you can't convince folks to do anything to help in the infiltration department.

We have not had Zero here in ages BUT, earlier this winter we had 15F with a 20 MPH wind.

We ran the two Whitfields on the low setting to keep 2400 feet a comfy 70F round the clock.

How much insulation and how drafty the house is will make all the difference in the world.

Snowy

SolarAndWood said:
Franks said:

Any idea what the consumption curve looks like? If its 3lbs per hour in the teens, what would the rate be in the 40s, 30s, 20s and what will it be this coming Monday morning? Is the building fairly airtight? If so, does wind still make a big difference?

In my case the consumption curve is:

Deg F lbs/hr Heat setting
-20 5.5 6
-10 4.74 5
00 3.98 4
10 3.22 3
20 2.46 2
30 1.7 1

The above is for no wind. The consumption increases 1 heat setting for every 10 mph increase in wind.
This is in a very tight house using an OAK with R53 insulation in attic. R49 recommended by DOE

Wind makes a big difference so by blocking up air leaks the heat hangs around alot longer and the house is much more cozy!!!

Thanks Don. I have tried to figure this out but there are too many variables burning wood to do so with any accuracy.

I let the furnace take up the slack when it gets below zero. Keeps the basement and the pipes down there from freezing up and uses minimal amounts of oil.

I turned the Whitfield up to 2 heat/ 3 fan.
It got down to 5 degrees Thursday night.

Got down close to 0 last night, and put the stove on 6-9. Woke up to a 68 degree house early, and now stat has the house at 70.....mmmmmm....love that cozy pellet heat!

Will be dumping the Cubex in the stove tomorrow night....getting into the negative temps and I want all the BTU's I can get! BRRRRRRR

imacman said:
Got down close to 0 last night, and put the stove on 6-9. Woke up to a 68 degree house early, and now stat has the house at 70.....mmmmmm....love that cozy pellet heat!

Will be dumping the Cubex in the stove tomorrow night....getting into the negative temps and I want all the BTU's I can get! BRRRRRRR

Had -5 here this morning, 70 degrees inside so I filled it up and turned the temp up a hair, soon it was a nice balmy 75 inside...mmmmm did I tell say how much I like this cozy pellet heat? I do I sure do!!
I know, wheres the pics! Soon I say soon.

I usually run my stove between 2-3 at night, but I turned it up to 5 at 3 am because it got a little chilly.

We can keep our 2500 sq. ft. house at or near 70°F when the temperature bottoms out near 0°F outdoors on Level 2 or 3 (out of 5) on the Fahrenheit pellet furnace, and even warmer when burning Stove Chows. My house is well-insulated and only 3 years old (I general contracted my own build), so that helps with heating tremendously.

are old stove(ashely) use to run that on setting 1 fan 5 and kept the trouse at 85 now with the new stove (osburn) i run it at 2 in the day time and 3-4 at night keeps it at 68-70 the wife still thinks its cold in here

Outside, 13 degrees above and dropping current Eastern time 5:15 PM. Yes, the stove feed set on 4 temp, inside 70-72 degrees.

ChrisWNY said:
We can keep our 2500 sq. ft. house at or near 70°F when the temperature bottoms out near 0°F outdoors on Level 2 or 3 (out of 5) on the Fahrenheit pellet furnace, and even warmer when burning Stove Chows. My house is well-insulated and only 3 years old (I general contracted my own build), so that helps with heating tremendously.

I do the same with my Omega. I adjust the heat output with the quality of the fuel I put in. I keep my feed rate set on medium feed 3. I was burning stove chow, But with this extreme cold weather I have opted for more heat and dumperd in the Turmans from by pellet stash. If it gets much colder I will go to my Hamer Hot ones, Okies or Cubex stash.

rona said:

Same here.

slls said:
rona said:

Same here.

Can you guys with the thermostat explain PLEASE?

If it is on Hi-Lo then what is the high setting? If On-Off then what is the Heat or Feed Rate setting??

Don2222 said:
slls said:
rona said:

Same here.

Can you guys with the thermostat explain PLEASE?

If it is on Hi-Lo then what is the high setting? If On-Off then what is the Heat or Feed Rate setting??

No thermostat but the high setting in high low mode is the setting you select on the controller.

In on off it is the feed rate you select on the controller.

Just the same as the high setting in high low mode.

SmokeyTheBear said:
rona said:

Yep, and for some reason you can't convince folks to anything to help in the infiltration department.

Yes Smokey you are right!

However I did convince my wife that insulation and such really works.
Of course going from R7 to R53 in the Attic does make a noticeable difference.

Tonight I just put a piece of foam weather stripping on the bottom of the air conditioner I built into the wall.
Sure I did caulk the shell to the side of the house really well, but there was a very small gap
between the inside of the shell and the bottom of the air conditioner.
Anyway, as I just finished, she walked in and said "Don did you just turn up the Heat?"
So I laughed real hard and said Nope just doing some more insulation!!!

Franks said:

Hi Frank. Are you burning this as your only fuel source? I am burning the Europa as my only heat source. It went down to 9 degrees, I have the unit set on 5, with the feed trim turned up to 3. The helix is not up high enough, nor is the ash bed. Thus, it is in the low fifties right now in my house.....a little chilly. Any suggestions? Also, how does the corn and wheat setting differ from wood? Is it possible to burn wood, but use one of these icons to speed the fuel rate? Has anyone experimented with burning wood with a different icon setting?

Status
Not open for further replies.