When to clean chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pearsall

Dec 5, 2005
Central New Hampshire
I realize that I didn't clean my chimney this spring like I normally do. Will it make a big difference in the ease of cleaning if the creosote and other junk has been sitting there all summer long?

BTW I have a flexible SS liner in an internal chimney.

Thanks! Looking forward to winter!

Im not sure if its easier or harder, but there will likely be less material (creosote) to remove by waiting. I went to check the AC in my mechanical room in the basement, where my cleanout for the chimney also resides, and the cleanout door was wide open w/ a significant pile of creosote on the floor. Less to clean!

One other thing..... if you dont clean your own chimney, or only have it professionally cleaned every X years, it's normally cheaper to have it cleaned in the spring because its off peak season and the cleaners will normally have off-peak discounts.

makes no difference in the ease of cleaning at all. And yes spring or summer is a good time to have it cleaned because prices are sometimes lower.

Good advice here. I would just add that if one has an exterior chimney, and/or if one is burning sub-prime wood (damp or green), then the best time to clean the chimney is when it needs it. This could be a few times a season in some of the poorer circumstances.

I had more than one person pay me to go up on their roof with the ice, wind and snow when their chimneys plugged off mid winter. The 90 that the diy guy wouldn't pay in July because he could clean it himself sounded real resonable when another clean was necessary in January. Rightfully so I suppose.

Thanks-- I clean the chimney myself and usually do a mid season clean if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.