when to close th bypass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Close it as soon as the fire is going well. The bypass open mode is just for starting fires and reloading.

What kind of stove? Is it a cat stove? I close my bypass after I reach my light off temp for the cat. For a cold start my stove takes about 45 minutes til light off and I usually have a good bed of coals by then since I like to use lots of kindling. Reloading may only take 10-20 minutes til the wood is good and chared, then the bypass is closed.

Good question. I was assuming it was for his nice, shiny new Perfect Fit.

It is for the shiny perfect fit. It seems to make little difference, but I would think the air in the stove would circulate more on the noncat. The stove is a little tempermental.

Status
Not open for further replies.