When to have chimney liner cleaned ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike_Hearthstone

Sep 6, 2014
Rochester, MI
I have a wood burning stove insert with a metal chimney liner inside my brick chimney.
I've had the stove about 4 years - so not too long.
I'm wondering
a) when is realistic to start worrying about cleaning the liner ?
b) how to really check if liner needs cleaning. I think it's pretty difficult to access the liner from inside my stove. It requires a lot of disassembly of the stove.

Mike

Welcome Mike. That liner needs to be brushed at a minimum once a year. Possibly more often based on the quality of your firewood and burning habits. If you can't do the work from the roof, get a professional sweep out there to clean that thing and see what the results are.

For sure before you start burning for another season.

Yep, once a year at least. I do mine from roof and tie heavy lawn bag to my clean out T behind stove. The cap on top of my liner is the place that needs the most cleaning and I remove the cap then take down off roof and clean the cap over garbage can. Then I brush the liner few times and get about a quart of fine black stuff

Yep, once a year at least. I do mine from roof and tie heavy lawn bag to my clean out T behind stove. The cap on top of my liner is the place that needs the most cleaning and I remove the cap then take down off roof and clean the cap over garbage can. Then I brush the liner few times and get about a quart of fine black stuff

Just did mine this morning with the sooteater from the top down., Glad I read your comment...Mine was very dirty around the cap, I took it down and cleaned it. Nice pile of fine dust in the fire box.
Since this is my first time cleaning a liner, Im guessing your never going to get the inside shiney clean correct?

If you have good wood and a good setup you may not need to clean it every year but you should check it every year at least and 4 years is way to long

Status
Not open for further replies.