1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

When to quit??

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by SmokinPiney, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spikem

Spikem Member

Loc:
    Middleboro, MA, USA
    What kind of splitter do you have that you can do that?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. mainemac

mainemac Member

Loc:
    Maine
    I just cant help it

'Safety is no accident'

Tom
  3. Scott in IN

Scott in IN New Member

Loc:
    Indiana
    Husky 22 ton with a Briggs motor. I used to run it at part throttle which caused the hydraulic ram to run a little slower, now days I run it just about wide open for faster ram speeds (and more splits per hour). Gas is cheap, but my time isn't.....
  4. 11 Bravo

11 Bravo New Member

Loc:
    Yankee Springs....in SW Michigan
    after an hour................union requirements
  5. leftyscott

leftyscott Member

Loc:
    arkansas
    When the temp. and humidity are close to 90... like they are today.... about 30 minutes after I start. Also when splitting, I quit when the 8 lb maul feels like an 80 lb maul which today is about 30 minutes.
  6. Apprentice_GM

Apprentice_GM Member

Loc:
    Central Coast, NSW, Australia
    +1 & -1 :)

I quit when the job is finished . . . if it gets dark I keep working anyway, get some lights - floodlights, car, ride-on mower lights, or use moonlight, whatever.

My stubborness in finishing what I dam well started almost makes up for my complete inability to estimate accurately how long the job will take, and how long I spend on the job thinking about how much more efficiently / smarter I could do whatever I'm doing. Almost . . .
  7. mayhem

mayhem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Peru, MA
    I go by the tankful of fuel, or when the wife starts yelling and stamping her feet. Usually the wife alarm goes off before I run out of gas.
  8. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Nowadays I go by the bladder full of...

Back in my youth when I was cutting professionally, we often worked 16 - 18 hour days. On one pipeline slash job, some friends of mine decided they could make more money by setting up a tent out on the ROW to get an earlier start and to even work by moonlight while the rest of us were shuttled by bus from in town and getting hosed with jacked up motel rates. One of my friends got hurt and had to drive himself to the hospital cuz nobody would to take time off to help him.
  9. ChillyGator

ChillyGator New Member

Loc:
    NorthFlorida
    just before the corornary kicks in...........

split/loaded/unloaded/stacked two pickup truck loads Saturday (low 90's by the time I finished).....gives me 2 12' long stacks/4' high/16" wide.........don't think they will be ready by November.........plan to suppliment with seasoned (by a friend who is in the biz so I know it really is) wood (additional 2' on top), hopfully that gets me to Jan/Feb.......have backup backup plan if that doesn't work (burn from my fathers stack that is already ready to go).

Splittin ain't that bad but......running that chainsaw in the Florida summer is NO FUN!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.