When to quit??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Scott in IN said:
LLigetfa said:
Scott in IN said:
I normally judge my splitting time via a tankful of gas in the splitter which equals about 4 buckets full of wood with the Kubota or about 1/4 to a 1/3 of a cord. I rarely have a big block of time to do chores so I fit them in when I can.
Oh man, what a guzzler, and I thought my splitter was thirsty. I get about a cord to a tank.

I used to throttle it down to get better fuel efficiency but recently I've said screw it and turned up the juice for shorter cycle times.

What kind of splitter do you have that you can do that?

Spikem said:
Scott in IN said:
LLigetfa said:
Scott in IN said:
I normally judge my splitting time via a tankful of gas in the splitter which equals about 4 buckets full of wood with the Kubota or about 1/4 to a 1/3 of a cord. I rarely have a big block of time to do chores so I fit them in when I can.
Oh man, what a guzzler, and I thought my splitter was thirsty. I get about a cord to a tank.

I used to throttle it down to get better fuel efficiency but recently I've said screw it and turned up the juice for shorter cycle times.

What kind of splitter do you have that you can do that?

Husky 22 ton with a Briggs motor. I used to run it at part throttle which caused the hydraulic ram to run a little slower, now days I run it just about wide open for faster ram speeds (and more splits per hour). Gas is cheap, but my time isn't.....

When the temp. and humidity are close to 90... like they are today.... about 30 minutes after I start. Also when splitting, I quit when the 8 lb maul feels like an 80 lb maul which today is about 30 minutes.

JerseyWreckDiver said:
When I'm finished. or when it's too dark to see what I'm doing anymore.

+1 & -1 :)

I quit when the job is finished . . . if it gets dark I keep working anyway, get some lights - floodlights, car, ride-on mower lights, or use moonlight, whatever.

My stubborness in finishing what I dam well started almost makes up for my complete inability to estimate accurately how long the job will take, and how long I spend on the job thinking about how much more efficiently / smarter I could do whatever I'm doing. Almost . . .

I go by the tankful of fuel, or when the wife starts yelling and stamping her feet. Usually the wife alarm goes off before I run out of gas.

mayhem said:
I go by the tankful of fuel...
Nowadays I go by the bladder full of...

Back in my youth when I was cutting professionally, we often worked 16 - 18 hour days. On one pipeline slash job, some friends of mine decided they could make more money by setting up a tent out on the ROW to get an earlier start and to even work by moonlight while the rest of us were shuttled by bus from in town and getting hosed with jacked up motel rates. One of my friends got hurt and had to drive himself to the hospital cuz nobody would to take time off to help him.

just before the corornary kicks in...........

split/loaded/unloaded/stacked two pickup truck loads Saturday (low 90's by the time I finished).....gives me 2 12' long stacks/4' high/16" wide.........don't think they will be ready by November.........plan to suppliment with seasoned (by a friend who is in the biz so I know it really is) wood (additional 2' on top), hopfully that gets me to Jan/Feb.......have backup backup plan if that doesn't work (burn from my fathers stack that is already ready to go).

Splittin ain't that bad but......running that chainsaw in the Florida summer is NO FUN!

Status
Not open for further replies.