when to rebuild a wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparksalot

Aug 21, 2006
Montana
i bought a jotul castine wood stove 3yrs ago and have read that they have to be rebuilt every few years or so....what is a few years and how can i tell when to rebuild? wondering if i should have not gone cast iron..

gasketing 4-6- years use CAST IRON NOT WElDED STEEL 10- 12 Years depending upon usage for rebuilding

Sparky7720 said:
i bought a jotul castine wood stove 3yrs ago and have read that they have to be rebuilt every few years or so....what is a few years and how can i tell when to rebuild? wondering if i should have not gone cast iron..

A smoke test or a light test will help determine is the seals are bad. I have had cast iron stoves last well over 12 years without the need for a reuild. ANd I've had some need it after two years. There is no way to know from here. You'll need to so a test on the seals. If in doubt, rebuild it and repack all the seal joints with fresh new furnace cement.

Sean

Sparky,
I have the same stove and its been buring the same as the day I bought it in 2001. I'll keep a closer eye on it as I go through this season. Although I hope it continues as is for another few years. Door gaskets are still very tight.

Sparky7720 said:

In general, when you find the fire harder to control and damp down, then it's time to check the gaskets. I haven't experienced premature problems with the cast iron stoves I owned. The 602 finally got rebuilt after 15 years of service. Sounds like the writer might have been refering to the bad run of VC stoves in the 80's & 90's. Sometimes one can't believe everything one reads.

Jotul makes good stoves. If your stove is buring correctly and controls the way it did new, then I wouldn't worry much about this for a few more years. And then, it might just need new door and ash pan gaskets and a good cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.