When To Reload Your Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhitePine

Feeling the Heat
Sep 18, 2010
I was sitting here wondering when I should reload the stove when my wife came by, stared at me, then the stove, and said, "You're not in shorts yet!"

Apparently, it was time to reload. ;lol

I was sitting here wondering when I should reload the stove when my wife came by, stared at me, then the stove, and said, "You're not in shorts yet!"

Apparently, it was time to reload. ;lol

I usually reload when the wife or the cat tells me to. The wife is not very subtle. The cat slowly gets closer and closer to the stove. When he is leaning on it I need to reload.

The only reloads on a schedule are the first one in the morning. The stove has to be hot when everyone starts getting ready for their day. The last reloads have to be timed so by bedtime there is a good bed of coals but not enough to prevent filling the firebox completely.

As you get used to your stove it becomes second nature...

KaptJaq

Where's the fire?

IMG_6275_a.JPG

It was the first time the stove was out in about two weeks. He sat looking at it for at least 20 minutes.

KaptJaq

Reload time is when the house is down to 69.
Also, at bedtime, we load up for the night. That'll keep the house toasty until 5:30 or 6.
Reload and repeat.

We reload first thing in the morning (as KaptJaq says - have to have it going to get the family going in the morning). Then there is the mandatory before bed loading (assuming it is cold enough to burn at night). In between it is a matter of room temperature - if it is getting cool (anyone feels cool) then there is some sort of load done. Of course, this is is what we did in the past - so far it hasn't really been cold enough to load much more than the 2x a day with the new stove.

When my house temps start dropping or when the coals are getting real low.

Status
Not open for further replies.