When to Replace Gasket on Window Englander 28-3500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

04HemiRam2500

Feeling the Heat
Jul 10, 2013
SW PA
Okay so I have had the Englander 28-3500 for 4 years heating 3000 square feet and love it. But so far I have not needed to replace the door gaskets or the window gasket. When do you know it is time to replace them and how can you tell? Thanks!

When there are signs of leakage or the dollar bill test fails.

Reactions: 04HemiRam2500
Hmm looking up the dollar bill test now. Okay so if close door tight and there is no resistance then need new gaskets. How do you test for the glass gasket? Thanks

Okay well it passed the dollar bill test but how can you tell if the gasket around the glass is bad?? Asked cause it started to tear in one corner.

Usually you'll notice some darkening and sooting up of the glass if there is an air leak there.

Well I have a weak draft and the glass tends to do that after so many burns. Did that when first installed it. So by any chance is there another way to tell/test? Thanks and sorry if dumb question never replaced one before.

I don't replace the glass gasket too frequently unless the gasket is seriously degraded or leaking. It's not really a wearing part. You can run a punk or cigarette around the perimeter while the furnace is burning to see if any smoke is getting sucked in around the edge of the glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.