When to replace gasket?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beagler

Sep 9, 2007
I have a Jotul that is about 4 years old. We burn daily. The braided gasket is original. How do you know when it needs replaced?

When there is visible damage (eg. worn, tears, etc.). Also if it isn't holding a seal and is deformed beyond repair.

Sisu said:
When there is visible damage (eg. worn, tears, etc.). Also if it isn't holding a seal and is deformed beyond repair.

1x
In addition: Did something change in your burns? Do you get a lot of soot on the glass especially always in the same spot? Is the secondary burn any different when you close the air completely? You can do the dollar-bill test. If you tug on it and it comes out with only slight to no resistance a new gasket may be warranted.

Attachments

• DSC00151-1.jpg
    DSC00151-1.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 184
It can vary a lot of when gaskets need replacing. Our old stove we had for well over 20 years and replaced the door gasket one time. We're now on our 5th year for the Fireview and have not replaced yet.

Thanks everyone! It failed the dollar bill test, and I also have soot continually on the left side desite hot burns. Does anyone know of a good source to buy gaskets. I refuse to buy anything from the guy I bought the stove off of.

Some big boxes will carry spools of it, occasionally. Where are you located? McGuckin's Hardware in my area (near Boulder CO) has tons.

Around here most hardware stores will have all the gaskets you need. Woodstock Soapstone (www.woodstove.com) sells them and perhaps Jotul does too.

Status
Not open for further replies.