when to start the oil burner again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

watrskir

Jan 24, 2009
Southern N.H.
So.....with oil here in NH at 2.90 a gal. and the fact that pellets were not the inexpensive this year. at what point does one start the oil boiler back up and save the pellets for later!

Oil is about the same near me. I won't start using pellets till later in the year most likely when the price of oil is higher and its colder out.

No reason right now when oil is low. Won't save me much if anything to use pellets

Reactions: watrskir
For me never! The only time the oil burner goes on it's if the stove breaks or during my monthly maintenance. I gave money to the oil companies for far too many years. I would rather buy my heating fuels from a local source.

Reactions: Big papa
So.....with oil here in NH at 2.90 a gal. and the fact that pellets were not the inexpensive this year. at what point does one start the oil boiler back up and save the pellets for later!
Wow - our delivery tow weeks ago to fill up after the spring (39 gal.) was still at $3.49. . . They'll screw us as along as they can.

My break even point, oil to pellets purchased at $300 per ton is $2.52 per gallon. Have about 25 cents to go to hit that level.

Reactions: watrskir
A local source,lol,who gets them shipped from Québec!
I burn the Maine wood pellets. Even if they were from Canada I'd still burn, I think I have anger issues with the oil guy:)

There has been alot of discussion as to where the break even point is. Personally, I think it's different for everyone. Before pellets, I used about 900 gallons of oil per year. After pellets, I use 300 gallons of oil and 3 1/2 tons of pellets. When 600 gallons of oil costs less than 3 1/2 tons of pellets, I'll switch back.

Interesting chart. Take a look at the bottom entry (coal) and see how much a million btu's cost, you PA, NY, and MD. guys. :) Coal's $160 a ton right now.

Also, plug in your $300/ton pellets and your fuel oil cost and you can see where your break even is.

What this chart DOESN'T show is your ducting system for hot air distribution systems. This calculator is the only one that I've found that does > http://www.buildinggreen.com/calc/fuel_cost.cfm

Last edited:
With a propain shortage in our area due to corn drying again, propane has spiked above $2. No brainer to keep burning $130 ton fuel

Reactions: tjnamtiw
Oil price for me right now is $2.79/gal and I have about 5/8 of a tank. When the price starts to head back up I will fill up the tank and turn on the pellet stove. If the price keeps dropping (which I doubt it will) it won't be worth burning pellets. he trick is to not get caught needing to fill up in January/February when the price is higher.

I know what my winter oil consumption is and I know what I'll use for pellets. The way I figure it, I bought 1750$ worth of pellets, the break even point for oil is about 1.80/gallon.

When your choice makes you happy.. Its a individual choice. Hows that for a political statement the day after elections?

Reactions: JDenyer236
I would probably still run my stove even if oil was a little cheaper. The warm glow of the fire and the comfortable feeling is something I would pay a premium for.

Never. I don't have that option and way too much to install a brand new heating system. Electric would have to get much cheaper and don't see that happening any time soon.

I like the steady heat fromPellets.
No cool down like Hot water baseboards...
can keep pellet temps around 73 degrees. If we kept temps at 73 degrees with Oil, the furnace would go thru Oil like Grant took Richmond.
No savings there in the long run. using Oil we had to keep at 67-68 degrees to conserve.
Oil prices will rise again soon enough so don;t sell the pellet stove anytime soon....

I heard a news clip yesterday that mentioned the Saudis not slowing production, keeping oil prices down, as a test to find the "break-point" for North American oil supplies... I know the drop in the cost per barrel never seems to translate to a drop at the pump:mad:

gas is up $.10 today in town. election fraud prices are over

I like the steady heat fromPellets.
No cool down like Hot water baseboards...
can keep pellet temps around 73 degrees. If we kept temps at 73 degrees with Oil, the furnace would go thru Oil like Grant took Richmond.
No savings there in the long run. using Oil we had to keep at 67-68 degrees to conserve.
Oil prices will rise again soon enough so don;t sell the pellet stove anytime soon....

This is not true, given the fact that the spreadsheet used factors in BTU production EQUALLY for all fuels, and is adjusted for efficiency of each unit/furnace used.

I know what my winter oil consumption is and I know what I'll use for pellets. The way I figure it, I bought 1750$ worth of pellets, the break even point for oil is about 1.80/gallon.

Calculate your cost and efficiencies of your units. Entering mine came out to $2.52 per gallon to break even. Close to that now, and saves your back and time, reduces noise of blower, more even heat, no cleaning of stove, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.