When to stop burning....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
dictated by my very sensetive STPS system: spouse thermal perception system.

Those can come in handy at times but I think mine is broken. I can't seem to get it to stop squawking no matter what I try!!

Reactions: Wildo
In Oregon, it's legal to light up anytime now right? Oh wait, wrong forum!! ;)

Ummm....actually, no it isn't. That would be Washington State ;)

Those can come in handy at times but I think mine is broken. I can't seem to get it to stop squawking no matter what I try!!

LOL - hope 'it's' not reading over your shoulder!

When it's staying over mid 30s at night I shut it down.
I think a lot of it has to do with how your house is built. Obviously they build them different in Palmer Alaska than they do in Mint Hill, NC because if it was in the high thirties overnight here and I didn't have a fire it would be darn cold in the morning inside. Inside temp is what determines it for me. If the thermometer says it's in the 60's inside, its time for a fire. I don't really have a calendar for it.

Reactions: save$
We will stop when our home stays in the upper 60's, normally late March...

My furnace which runs on propane runs at below 30, above that the heat pump takes over. At that point I slow down on the daytime burning. But we'll keep a small fire all day on the weekend maybe up to 40, also evening fires. Have to be to be carefull or it gets too hot, we have some big windows and warm up quick when its sunny. Funny how in the fall it hits 49 and I fire it up, but by spring I probably won't over 40!

Reactions: Ashful
No set date here. If it's too cool on the house we start a fire. Usually done by sometime in May. same in the fall. If its cold,in the house we start a fire could be late September. The Fireview can burn very low and slow. Great for shoulder season. Sometimes only load at night with enough coals to get the next fire started from the previous night.

I'm going to burn all summer! I'll turn the AC to MAX cold, and then light a fire to take the chill out!

:)
laff.gif

Living in an old drafty stone house, the ambient temp in my living room, where the stove is, is 56 without the stove lit or the furnace on. 56 feels good in the summer when it's 85 out but when it's only 65 during the day and 40's at night, it's damp and cold. We burn easily September - Late April early May. When I'm not cold any more, we stop burning :)

Don't know when I will stop burning this year but I look forward to it.

If cool or damp, then there is fire. Only go by the calendar for birthdays and bills!

I'm going to burn all summer! I'll turn the AC to MAX cold, and then light a fire to take the chill out!

:)
Was taking a sip of beer when I read this....spit take!

My poor house is in the shade alllll winter spring..and summer! It's great because I don't need AC.

The downside, I seem to burn into late may sometimes! Today it hit 60 outside. I'm still wearing my winter uniform at work, I was dying! Windows down...

When I left the house this morning it was 70 in here. Let the fire to out, got home...60..brrr!

It's time for a central heating system to even things out in this old drafty house. I love heating with wood, but I wouldn't cry if I used a heat pump in the late shoulder season

When da fat lady sings "Summertime".

After a good hard winter of burning Im slowing down on the fires now. (but not totally done yet)

last fire of the season ( by season I mean 24/7 burning) burning down right now, I'll toss in the few pieces already in the house and call it a season.

Still will have a fire is we get 2-3 day strtetch of 30s/20s.

Will start working on the 14/15 supply this week.

Used to shut my old boiler down in March...Because I hated it! Now that I have upgraded to a system with storage I will burn until it is warm outside even then I will light a fire every few days for DHW. Storage is the only way to burn! (I once said I would never batch burn a boiler)

This year, in a week or so. That's about when I run out of wood.

Reactions: colin.p
Status
Not open for further replies.