When you find a critter in your tree...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mwhitnee

Minister of Fire
Jun 10, 2015
Central Mass, USA
So I'm a speech pathologist and have a second job seing little kids in their homes in early intervention. Went to see a new 2 yr old today at his house.

This kid's dad cuts wood and found baby squirrels in a felled tree. One of the baby squirrels did not vacate by the end of the day so it became a pet.

Comes out and plays, doesn't bite. I fed it a peanut today lol. I love the cage he made.

Attachments

• 20151014_161210.jpg
    20151014_161210.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 384
Hope he got it a bunch of shots those buggers carry a bunch of nasties to the human system

Nope no shots. Do they pose a huge health threat? http://www.squirrel-attic.com/diseases.html This site says not really but after reading what they said not so sure.

I would never have one, but thought it was pretty interesting.

I had such a squirrel problem at my last house with them getting into the trash. It took a lot to not dispose of them permanently. I was in the city and it didn't matter if I caught 3 a week and released them, there would always be more.

They are cute but still they're tree rats. I guess they have a purpose. Mostly to annoy me all winter.

They hang off the tree trunks just out of reach and have "conversations" with my dog. One kamikaze black squirrel miscalculated a jump over the snow bank in front of her on a walk last year and she picked it out of mid air. She didn't kill it but couple shakes and flung it over the bank, that little guy was doing @50mph after that. They show up in 3's and 4's in my back yard and torture her, so for her it was a bit of payback I guess....

Comes out and plays, doesn't bite. I fed it a peanut today lol. I love the cage he made.

When I was a kid growing up I thought squirrels were tame. We fed the ones in our yard peanuts and they would almost come take them out of our hands. A kid on the next block over told me I was crazy so I took a bag of peanuts to his house. A couple of hours later the little tree rats in his yard were also close to being hand fed.

For me their purpose is to replace the chicken in my soup.

My dad used to hunt them with his lab, and eat them. He trained the dog to circle around the tree, so the squirrel would circle back towards him. Pop!

I saw one prepared to eat, but I couldn't do it. Looked too much like a cat!!!

My dad used to hunt them with his lab, and eat them. He trained the dog to circle around the tree, so the squirrel would circle back towards him. Pop!

Nice - my lab is a stick, toss it on the other side of the tree
I saw one prepared to eat, but I couldn't do it. Looked too much like a cat!!!

It helps if you take the fur off or skin it first!

Reactions: LocustPocust
Status
Not open for further replies.