When you hear a crack..................

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shipper50

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 10, 2007
Indiana
I heard a lightning strike about a month ago behind my house and didnt think anymore about it. Was in the wood yesterday cutting up the chinkapin or what ever oak it is, and found this. I dont know what it is yet, it has leaves on the top, but they are really dried up with weather.

I guess I will have another to get cut up and split for next year. The temps here are much better for the old man with the bad leg to be in the woods. ;-) I figure the tree is about 70 feet long....

Shipper

Attachments

• When you hear a crack..................
    Lighting Struck1.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 978
    Lighting Struck2.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 967
    Lighting Struck3.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 1,004
    Lighting struck4.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 970
Cool Shipper

Looks like a nice ash from here. The temp drop was great too bad for me rain came with it. Its a muddy mess at the farm now. I was in the woods cutting up some birch I pushed over last tuesday. The wind was blowing hard enough I was thinking its kinda stupid to be in the woods now and about a minute latter a big dead poplar blew down.

Billy

Yeah, I was thinking ash as well. Do you have other examples that are still standing that you can compare it to? That might be a sure way to identify it.

Bucked up some of the tree and split it with my handy Chopperaxe. It popped like a ripe melon. Quads would have a ball with this tree its that easy.

Now the hard part, what is it?

Shipper

Attachments

Freshcut and split.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 815
Jags said:
Nice looking ash.
Jags, if its ash and splits this easy I might not even have to use the gas splitter on it. It might take me awhile, but I can work about an hour or so at a time without having the old leg getting to stiff.

Thanks for the info........ :)

Shipper

This is an update on the 2 trees I found wind blown or one was hit by lightning. I found the one for sure was Chinkapin Oak and now have found evidence that the other was not Ash, but Pignut Hickory. My farmer friend thought the Pignut was that, but today I found the nuts under where the tree had been laying on the ground.

I should have some good heat out of these for 2011-12 I hope.

Shipper

Attachments

Pignut and Chinkapin Oak.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 576
    Pignut Hickory.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 576
Reminds me of years ago when a neighbor down the hill had lightning strike a big tree in his front yard. The insurance company said they would pay for taking it down but after the tree guy took it down they tried to weasel on the payment saying that he could get some value using it as firewood. The tree guy called the insurance company and told them that lightning takes all of the BTUs out of the tree.

They paid up. And he burned the wood. :lol:

Shipper - are you saying that this was pignut hickory?

Attachments

Freshcut and split.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 391
All the splitting of the tree where it broke off sure makes it appear to be ash as ash splits like that pretty easy and also is very easy to split with an axe or maul. The bark also looks like ash but pignut and ash bark do look similar and as always, is is difficult to tell in pictures. So, I'll also say ash.

Jags said:
Jags,

I am saying the pics are from the same tree. The one without the nuts was middle of the tree and the ones with the nuts laying on the wood was from the tops.

I found the hickory nuts on the ground where the tree had been laying. My farmer friend who knows his wood in my area said it was pignut when he saw the wood in person. The wood got darker closer to the trunk and was tough to split in places as I had to use my splitter as in hickory.

So I guess I am saying this was pignut hickory.

Shipper

Shipper50 said:
Jags said:
Jags,

So I guess I am saying this was pignut hickory.

Shipper

Well I'll be. In 10 guesses I would have never thrown that out there.

I took another picture of the same tree to show how the wood changed. Does ash take a 22 ton splitter to split it? This wood did.

Shipper

Attachments

Stringy.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 286
Shipper50 said:
Does ash take a 22 ton splitter to split it?

Shipper

Some times - yep. But that depends on the tree. Like AP said, usually it splits fairly easy, but I have seen some that was kinda stringy and tough to split.

Jags said:
Shipper50 said:

Shipper

Some times - yep.
I give up. Its cut and split and will burn in 2011-12.

Shipper

Shipper50 said:
Jags said:
Shipper50 said:

Shipper

Some times - yep.
I give up. Its cut and split and will burn in 2011-12.

Shipper

Thats it - its FIREWOOD. :cheese: Take a couple of small strings off of it and light it with a match and smell the smoke - does it smell like a BBQ? I'm not saying that it ain't hickory at this point - its just not what I would have guessed.

Status
Not open for further replies.