When you installed your wood or pellet unit did you or did you not...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, permit and inspection, then ins. Co.

Yes, permit then install and then inspection. Couple days later certificate to submit to insurance company.

Permit? Code officer. Never heard of it.
Yeah, what's a permit??? -Provided it's not in the house and you do the install yourself that is.

Yeah, what's a permit??? -Provided it's not in the house and you do the install yourself that is.
I could have avoided the permit if I did the install myself but most if not all insurance companies will screw you, if for some reason you have a fire that is caused by the pellet stove.. I figured I was better safe than sorry later for the $25 permit. Cover your a**.

Reactions: bobdog2o02 and GS7
No permit required here. The township I live in is not zoned, but that's rare now days. I did contact my insurance and got bad information. I Wanted to put it in my shop and they said that was a no go even tho there is a lot of people around here that have them in there shop. So I decided to put it in a shed near the shop, so I asked how far the shed needed to be from the shop. they said as long as you can see light between the two buildings it's fine. I built the shed about 15 foot from the shop and that was fine until I went to switch insurance companies. I found out most insurance companies want 30 foot between boiler shed and other buildings. I did finally find insurance but it wasn't easy and I didn't lie to them but I didn't exactly tell them exact details. Probably a good thing they didn't measure, put it that way. they did come out and take pics, so I should be good to go. Morale of story is you may want to contact a couple insurance companies before install to make sure what your doing is ok with them. The company i have now wants wood stored 8 foot away from the boiler shed.

No permit, Told insurance co that I had a wood furnace, They didn't seem to care.

Status
Not open for further replies.