When you move, does It go with

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Osburning

Dec 9, 2011
Southern NJ
I would like to move in a year or two and I've been thinking about what is to become of the insert and all the hard work I put into my hearth etc. After reading a lot of recent threads between cat stoves and tubes stoves, sales popularity between them, lack of properly informed buyers/dealers, wood suppliers who don't care etc., its really made up my mind.

I find it hard not to think my osburn would become a potential hazard to the new owner. Throwing in duralogs or green wood from the garden center half a mile away, that magically gets a huge pile of fresh split wood every November/December, gunking/lighting up the liner.

So, as much as I would like to use moving as an excuse to buy a new stove, I think I would pull the liner and insert to go with me. Since I pulled the cast iron damper at the throat I plan to replace with a lyemance damper on top of the clay tile and put some doors on the opening again for a nice finished look.

Has anyone moved and left a stove or taken one...

p.s. I think moving will be my excuse to have two stoves ;)

There's no reason it couldn't go, just list it as a reserved item. People do that all the time with appliances, swingsets, etc. Or you could list the insert as available for a certain price. If someone knows what it is and wants it, why not let them have it?

I'm currently thinking about moving too. Unfortunately, I will not be taking the stove with me. It's just to much hassle, and the fireplace would be inoperable because I cut out the baffle. There will be something new installed at the new house though. The new owner can do whatever they want. Not my problem.

I would expect that if you remove the insert, you would need to restore the fireplace to its former functionality or make it clear that the fireplace will be non-funtional.

My insert, it you want to call it that is a ZC built-in and as such would be considered part of the house. When I sold my former home, the RSF Onyx stayed with it. When I built my current home I designed it around the same model stove and purchased a new one.

Since we just bought the Cottage this isn't on my mind really, but if we did have to sell, I'd leave the stove. I built the hearth pad with the clearances in mind and it wouldn't be as easy as buying a few tiles or something to add to it (natural stones) so it would leave the buyer with a big huge stone pad and nothing on it unless they bought a similar stove. Wouldn't make sense. I'd just leave instructions or offer to show them how to use it, not that it's that complicated.

I did consider bringing one of our DV stoves with from the old house, but it's set for NG and we have LP-plus it's a heat source and we'd have to replace it with something, plus repair the hole in the roof from the pipe. Too big of a PITA.

I have been in my current home for the past 8 winters and prior to moving in I had a pellet stove at the old place and brought that baby with me. I have no intention of moving anytime soon, but I really think I would take my stoves depending on when I move. If its a long time from now and the stoves are not in great shape then I'd reconsider.

Here is a Wiki article on the definition of what is a fixture and what is a chattel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixture_(property_law)

The bigger question may be the stash of firewood if considerable. I consider it chattel but will the buyer expect it to be part of the sale? Would you take it or leave it? Include it in the price or sell it separately?

When my father's house burned to the ground, he left town and put the land up for sale. My son who was living with them at the time of the fire, sold all the firewood. The buyer was very upset and tried to declare it as theft.

In my state, the Association of Realtors has a standard form where you indicate what you're leaving behind.

We left our stove for three reasons:

1) It wouldn't really fit in the new house.
2) I didn't really like it.
3) It would have made the house look funny to pull it out and leave the hearth.

If the new owners misuse it it's their problem. I left the instruction manual.

We had more than two cords of wood that we took. I think it was actually all gone prior to accepting an offer.

When I moved in 1985 I left that Franklin right where it was and ran like hell. :cheese:

If I were to move, I'd leave both of mine with instruction manuals and a note in big letters: HEARTH.COM!!!

Nancy

The stove may be technically defined as an "appliance" but it is not to be taken with you when you sell as a fridge would be. It is an installed home improvement with permanent venting much like your furnace. Especially an insert with fireplace modifications that require an insert, leave it there.

Look at the bright side. You get a new stove! No worn hinges, scratches, cracked brick, or old technology. You get to choose a new stove exactly as you want it and if you really liked the old stove then get another one just like it.

As others have mentioned, just list that you intend to take it and restore the hearth back to original condition. You could probably leave the chimney liner. Unless, the buyer cared, which most people would view it as a nuisance to have to heat with wood. They will likely only have fires occassionally, if at all. I think the trend for a long time has been gas fireplaces. In areas with Natural Gas lines, that's a very affordable alternative if you don't like messing with ash.

If I ever sold, I'd take my Hearthstone and replace it with something a little more affordable or just get rid of the install altogether and pay someone to restore the work and the opening cut between the main level and the attic space.

The distinction is one of "fixture", or not. Fixtures typically convey with the property, non fixtures do not. But, anything can be modified by the parties, by contract. Whether you leave it, or not, it should be explicitly spelled out in the sales contract. The last house I sold, I sold the stove with it. My new house didn't have a chimney (since remedied) and I didn't want to deal with the hassle of removing and storing it. My buyer was pleased to get it, and truth be told, it sold the house. It was a very cold day when we showed it and we had a roaring burn going in the stove. Who could resist that?

I would pull it out before you even list it (the house). Once it's there, assuming it's an insert, it would be considered "attached" or "built-in", even though it can be easily pulled out. Appliances are completely different, unless they are attached to the structure such as "built in" types found in custom homes.

After reading the legal backing some have posted, I think it comes down to whether you are representing that insert as part of the sale. If you pull it out prior, then you are good. If it's sitting there, and they see it is gone without prior disclosure, then you've got a dispute.

Like I said, spell it out, whichever way you want it to go. I agree that most buyers would expect a stove, and especially an insert, to convey if not stated otherwise...but you don't want to surprise anyone. Most sales contracts have addendums on "appliances" such as refrigerators, window units, etc. Tell your agent how you want it to go, and they'll cover it in the contract. It is also a great bargaining chip to exchange for other things.

ploughboy said:
Like I said, spell it out, whichever way you want it to go. I agree that most buyers would expect a stove, and especially an insert, to convey if not stated otherwise...but you don't want to surprise anyone. Most sales contracts have addendums on "appliances" such as refrigerators, window units, etc. Tell your agent how you want it to go, and they'll cover it in the contract. It is also a great bargaining chip to exchange for other things.

Agree with above.

I do think that most people would not care if it was a fireplace or an insert provided the hearth itself was in great condition still. If things look better with the insert in there, they'd probably want it, but are not more likely to use it. Just make sure you caution them to read the manual. Whether you are responsible or not, they should at least be given fair warning that there are a few things they should know. As the old Chinese merchant in Gremlins warned: "Keep them out of sunlight, never get them wet, and absolutely, never, never feed them after midnight"

When I sold my last place not only did the stove go with it, I also hired a WETT certified sweep to clean and inspect it prior to the sale so it could not come up as a surprise on a home inspection. A lot of home insectors aren't qualified to express an opinion on it but it doesn't stop them from doing so.

It was hilarious... when the sweep came out and asked when it was last swept, we said never, that the house was only 5 years old. The sweep gave us the hellfire and brimstone lecture, wagging his finger at us and proceeded to sweep the flue. He was fully expecting to find enough incriminating evidence to brow beat us with but could only muster up about a cupful. Took the wind right out of his sails.

Highbeam said:
The stove may be technically defined as an "appliance" but it is not to be taken with you when you sell as a fridge would be. It is an installed home improvement with permanent venting much like your furnace. Especially an insert with fireplace modifications that require an insert, leave it there.

Look at the bright side. You get a new stove! No worn hinges, scratches, cracked brick, or old technology. You get to choose a new stove exactly as you want it and if you really liked the old stove then get another one just like it.

I don't agree with that and it would be done before listing to not cheat a buyer out of it. The venting is not permanent since I'd pull it out just like i put it in. Modifications for an insert are minor compared to a freestanding stove. I also said I would replace the damper with one that is superior imo. And new glass doors to bring it back to original, but not gold this time. I installed granite over the original brick hearth and slate over the wall brick which is an upgrade.

I may change my mind, but I'd think more buyers would be better suited for the standard fireplace.

Around here a wood stove can not be called a primary heat source.,in the sale of a house.

Status
Not open for further replies.