Where can I buy a base for a pellet stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
Sometime ago I saw a pellet stove sitting on a base made of a steel form and tiles inside.
I went to the local HD but they don't carry that. Now I'm wondering if I can build it myself but need to know where I could get the steel octagonal form so I can then put the tiles myself.

I live in Naugatuck, CT

Does it need to be steel? As long as clearance to combustibles distances are met you may be able to use wood.

Matt

so can I use a 3x3 plywood piece and then lay my cement and tiles on top of it, is this safe and "aproved".
if I can use plywood for the base, can it be regular plywood or I need pressure treated?

thanks for the quick reply....need to build this asap...

can someone confirm I could build my own base made of wood/plywood and then tiles on top, would this base be safe enough?

My Countryside has been sitting on a piece of 1/2 cdx adorned with leftover tile from my kitchen for 4 years with absolutely no problems. Just make sure it is big enough in the areas dictated by code. Adding a little extra "for the wife and kiddies" as they say won't hurt any either.

Hello my friend ! The wife & i went out and bought a standard 1/2" thick, 3x5 sheet of durock & bought a box of overstock beautiful tile & wood molding with lip & made our own . cost for everything $65 . If you want more info on how to make it let me know . It looks like it cost $400.

I don't think I have time to buy on ebay as the installation is this Thursday (even though I could postpone).
I'm thinking on building this myself so will check materials and cost, seems like I can use plywood or durock for the base and then lay the tiles on top.

muss said:
Hello my friend ! The wife & i went out and bought a standard 1/2" thick, 3x5 sheet of durock & bought a box of overstock beautiful tile & wood molding with lip & made our own . cost for everything $65 . If you want more info on how to make it let me know . It looks like it cost $400.

sure, share any info, this would be my first time building one of this, so any info helps...thanks..

Southbridge06GT said:
I built mine by starting with 1/4" plywood, then 1/2" hardy board, then Slate tile. Looks nice and was approved

thats how I did mine....but had some left over tile from kitchen....and bought grout and did it that way....then put an oak trim around it.....looks good :)

thanks to all for the replies, just one last question:
if I use plywood or cement board, what can I use on the very bottom so I do not scratch my hardwood floor?
I need something that would be soft to the wood floor.......

Once the hearthpad is down it should not move but a big sheet of felt
would be good too.
If you have a dollar store nearby, you should be able to get some good
size pieces for a buck.

Yeah, that's exactly what i used was felt . A small 4x4 or so square in each corner keeps it off the floor just enuff & it slides great

I screwed 3/4" plywood on top of flooring.
Then put 1/2" dura-rock on top of that.
Then thinset walkway pavers over the dura-rock.
I then used polymeric sand as the grout between the stones.
Wrapped the whole thing in a nice oak trim board.

StoveCloseup.jpg

Inspector loved it. So does the Wife.

1 season and it is holding up well. No cracking/movement.

Think I spent around $100.00 in materials for the hearth pad.

---Nailer---

that base looks nice, in my case I think the base will be 3x3 square because I don't have the saw to cut the tiles and not thinking about renting it just to lay 9 tiles....:-(

Just came from HD and bought 9 tiles 12x12, now the hardyback board is 3x3 but it actually runs a little less than 36 inches, so I'll end up with a little overhang on each side (on 2 sides), about 1/4 of an inch on each side.

Would be nice to have the front in an angle......:-(

Status
Not open for further replies.