Where can I find "All you need to know about installing a pellet stove?"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsflynn603

Jun 11, 2011
SW New Hampshire
I have a Lopi stove I bought back in 2009 and have never taken it out of its box because I ended up working at a distant location for the past two years and wasn't home enough to install it. This year I'm back and would like to install it.

I'm not interested in hiring a professional, so no admonitions please. I can learn and do a safe, code acceptable, quality engineered job myself.

I'd like a source that goes into detail, especially where running a vertical pipe to the peak is impractical. I seem to remember that you can run a pipe out and up and as long as the vent end is so many feet from a window, it's ok. The ideal location would require a vertical run of over 30'. There must be alternatives.

There must be either places which go into details about installing a stove, or perhaps a book that is sold? Any quality sources of information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Take a look at your owners manual for the stove. Most will spell out what can and can't be done. Never seen mentioned any book as you ask for. You need to also check your local codes unless that doesn't interest you.

You would be better off asking here and posting pics of what your up against rather then having a tone that your gonna do it all by yourself and you won't need help. I got news for you and that is the professionals need help some times.

There are lots of very qualified forum members here that would/will be willing to help you out, you just have to ask.

Right here. Your stove does not need to terminate above roof line. It can come straight out the wall or go up 3, 6, 9 ft. As long ss clearance to combustibles is met for the flue. And your termination cap is the recommended length away from your house.

Ask and you shall receive.

Thank you all. Sorry if the tone came across as hostile.

It seems that I've had a string of mechanical failures lately in plumbing and heating, and when I ask questions in formums and all I get is "hire a professional." I guess it's made me expect that sort of a response and being unemployed, that sort of response is truly not helpful.

It saddens me that our world seems to lean away from those who are willing to learn how to fix things, even to the point that some items are simply no longer fixable.

I found that I could not fix a steam iron recently though clearly the problem was with a faulty switch connection. I couldn't fix it because the entire unit was ultrasonically welded. Efficiency or planned obsolescence? I ended up breaking the welds and indeed it was simply a disconnected wire, easily fixed, but the iron was trashed because it could not be put back together.

Recently I worked for a major auto manufacturer and I was urged to support some law that essentially forced you to bring your car to a dealer by prohibiting you from getting the codes to shut down anti-theft protection on your own car. Sorry I might have been urged to support that but my letter to my congressman was just the opposite.

It's nice to see a do-it-yourself group!

I'll start with the manual, but here's a quick question since I might have this as an option.

I have a standard lined fireplace/chimney. In the past I've successfully vented a standard wood stove by propping open the damper, and using stovepipe 6" round to a rectangular fitting, and packing the edges with fiberglass. Can I vent my Lopi into the lined chimney the same way?

Its best to use a liner for a chimney. But I will let one of the dealer/installers chime in on this.

This is the most inviting Forum I have ever ran across. I recently installed a woodstove. Was gonna have a pro do it. But after a few questions. It was a piece of cake. I have installed several pellet stoves myself. Much easier than a woodstove. Welcome to the forums.

Steve of New Hampshire said:
I have a standard lined fireplace/chimney. In the past I've successfully vented a standard wood stove by propping open the damper, and using stovepipe 6" round to a rectangular fitting, and packing the edges with fiberglass. Can I vent my Lopi into the lined chimney the same way?

Of course you CAN, but it's not the way it should be done. The chimney should have a stainless liner all the way from the stove outlet to the top, with a block off plate at the damper location, and also one at the top of the chimney, with a proper pellet cap on top.

If you will post a step by step document, such as the pellet stove installation for dummies, I'll sell you all of the venting @ dealer cost, but you must elicit the forum for advice and honestly document the entire process for other members to learn from. If you are in New England and you successfully document the process I will educate you in person on the finer acumen's of cleaning and maintenance for free...after your first ton of pellets...also to be documented.

Yes, you can do it that way but its not the best way by far. I have been running a pellet insert that way for a couple of years with no problems. I took my damper out and I put flex stamless liner up about 6' from the stove. My stove manual shoed this as a way to install the insert. My insert was built in 94 when the rules were probably different then they are today. As Imacman has said the best way is to make a continueous run of flex liner to the top with a cap closing off the chimney. Some even make the suggestion to either buy a insulation wrap of fill the void with a approved filler. The purpose of this is to keep the gases hot to the point that they exit there by stopping the gases from turning into moisture and corroding the pipe

By the way you really should run 4" pipe when doing this as its easy to pass the EVL amount for the stove and the stove pipe has less restricken in a larger size. I have seen 25' runs of stainless pipe kits on e-bay for cheap. The pipe type and thickness will also have some bearing on what your planning on burnimg in your stove. Corn burning is pretty corrosive. There are different grades of pipe that can be bought and like everything else the better pipe is more money.

Most of us here like to try to fix things that are broken and not working so its a like minded group. You might be surprised what you can learn here. I have learned a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.