Where could I 10-15 feet of clear or translucent O2 barrier pex?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rkusek

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Mar 19, 2008
Nebraska
Looking to make a site tube for my homemade expansion tank. Anybody know what brands I should look for or better yet have a scrap piece they want to sell? Looks like Wirsbo makes a transclucent. Any ideas?

I will be watching, I need the same thing. I priced glass site tubes and I learned if I buy one of those I might as well buy a pre made tank.

goosegunner said:
I will be watching, I need the same thing. I priced glass site tubes and I learned if I buy one of those I might as well buy a pre made tank.

You could use a 124 propane tank. They have a float gauge and eliminate the need for a sight tube. You should be able to get one for less than $100.00.

I have a horizontal 100 or 120 gal horizontal tank. It is in the vertical position with legs welded on. It also has three 1" weld o lets added. One on the very bottom to connect to my system, one on the top to charge with air. and one on the side to add tubing to float gauge/ tube to bottom connection.

I am just not sure how well the float gauge will work as it is near the middle of the tank now. I would think the water level should be a little lower maybe in the bottom third of the tank?

gg

goosegunner said:
I have a horizontal 100 or 120 gal horizontal tank. It is in the vertical position with legs welded on. It also has three 1" weld o lets added. One on the very bottom to connect to my system, one on the top to charge with air. and one on the side to add tubing to float gauge/ tube to bottom connection.

I am just not sure how well the float gauge will work as it is near the middle of the tank now. I would think the water level should be a little lower maybe in the bottom third of the tank?

gg

Yes the water should be very low in the tank when cold and probably not more than 35% when hot. Could you modify the float to make it reach near the bottom ?

I kind of ruled out glass because of chance of getting broke. I was hoping not to have to rely on a modified float gauge

Sawyer said:
What size and how long a piece do you need?

Any size will work with the right fittings. I think a 10ft piece would be a God's plenty. Will measure it today to make sure. I think goosegunner was looking for some too. How much do you have?

I have 1/2" and 1" HePex. I know I have 10' in 1/2", should have 1" also. I will check today. I will give you the piece if I have what you need.

Sawyer said:
I have 1/2" and 1" HePex. I know I have 10' in 1/2", should have 1" also. I will check today. I will give you the piece if I have what you need.

Tank is 7 feet by 32" round. If you have 11 or 12 feet that will give me a foot or so to spare. I could make a 7' piece work if I used more fittings if you have a shorter piece. 1/2" or 1" doesn't matter if standard pex barn fittings work on hepex(I think they do). I have a guy at work that has the expander tool if I have to go that route.

huskers said:
Sawyer said:

Tank is 7 feet by 32" round. If you have 11 or 12 feet that will give me a foot or so to spare. I could make a 7' piece work if I used more fittings if you have a shorter piece. 1/2" or 1" doesn't matter if standard pex barn fittings work on hepex(I think they do). I have a guy at work that has the expander tool if I have to go that route.

I will PM you my info and definitely make it worth your time. Just glad I didn't have to buy a big roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.