Where did all our cold air go?? house too warm!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Somebody must have got some cold weather. We are having temps in the 40s°f, (46° today)
Snow melted. Rained on the cold ground & turned to ice. I could ice skate on my driveway :(
Almost too warm for a fire. House got to 78° today. had to open some doors/windows.

WHO GOT A BLAST OF BELOW ZERO air from the north?
Your welcome. :)
Happy New Year gift from Alaska.

Getting 20 hour burn times with small loads of wood, & still have to open the door for a while to
keep it below 75°. Fresh air inside is good every once in a while :)

Is it OK to burn for a long period with the bypass open?
It seems to put out less heat when I do it, but I've never did it for long periods.

Maybe time to burn some spruce & see how it works.
Only have some 1 year old stuff but I've heard it dries pretty fast.

I think it may be a good time to burn the stove contents too ashes, give it a good cleaning.
Vacuum the catalytic honey comb out. I've been burning 24/7 for 3 months.

Good time to see if the furnace still works too.

Who ever got the blast of cold air::: Stay warm & enjoy.

Got it here in Montana. -25 last night, -18 till 5pm, now it's up to almost +10. Someone else is gonna be surprised. ;)

WOW, you got some to the Fairbanks air.
My coldest so far was -8.
Hope those south of you have some good dry wood ready :)

It was warm here in Pa. I cooked us out of the house last night. Weather called for it to get down to 32F. Woke up at 2 am sweating and it was still 47 out. It's 46 out now. I would have let the stove go out had I known.

pen

Broke up and burnt both my end tables last week now I'm wearing shorts this week. Maybe Al Gore is on to something.

Yesterday it came close to 58 degrees here! Last night the low was 38 degrees.. Did not run the woodstove and the house stayed at 68 degrees.. Shined up the brass dampers,nameplate and handles with Brasso while the stove was cooled down.. I still love the look of this stove after over 20 years..

Ray

Yes - an very early January thaw here. About 49* here yesterday and 45* the day before. Real nice to give the stove a bit of a break and save some wood. A good morning fire, and house is staying in the 70's until I reload at 11pm or 12am. Cheers!

Sure seems kind of luxurious to burn with a few windows open...like swapping out the air.

Went to bed last night it was 46 with rain and fog, got up this am and it is 23 and partly cloudy. Virtually all of our snow is gone. Unreal..........................................

Dave, I've noticed that most of Alaska has been warmer than the northern parts around here. Montana and North Dakota usually gets the worst of the cold, but we can't leave out Minnesota either. But then, MI and WI have been famous for some deep cold too.

Here it is in the teens after 2 days with the high temperature of 50 and 51. Light snow right now.

rottiman said:
Sav, are you in the UP?

Although we did live in the UP for a while we are back where both the wife and I grew up in central MI. We are about 35 miles SW of Saginaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.