Where did you get your first burn of the heating season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

babalu87

Nov 23, 2005
middleborough, ma.
Decided I wanted to move a split so the fire would bet going quicker.
I now have a double whammy on the tender part of my left forearm, looks almost like a Wal-Mart smile.
I also have one on the top of the forearm that was a result of the yip factor when I got the burn in the first place :red:

After I hit the edge of the firebox THE SECOND TIME I looked at the gloves and said to myself, man was that dumb.
They do match quite nicely however.
Nothing major and they should go away by seasons end.

I haven't gotten burnt this year. The last burn happened when I swung the door open, put some logs in, and it closed on the back of my arm causing a burn there, and me to flinch and my knuckles hit the secondary burn tubes causing the second burn. After that, I got some long fire loading gloves that go past the elbow.

Got a little to close to one of my burn piles last week and singed my hair and eyebrows but nothing from the stove, unfortunately its still in the garage on hold.

Took most of the hair off one arm with a brush fire in the yard a few weeks ago. Other than that, the first break in fire in the new insert is just moments away! I'm sure I'll be able to post a new burn story shortly :lol:

No hair left on either hand, from reaching in to load a split in the back, while the gloves sat near the hearth, singed the left hand trying to open the door, that handle is stable, its the right one that swivels dummy!!!!!!!!!! as i moved to move the non moving handle, yeah wedged my hand tween the handle and 400 degree door, darn i hate when that happens!

hardwood715 said:
No hair left on either hand, from reaching in to load a split in the back, while the gloves sat near the hearth, singed the left hand trying to open the door, that handle is stable, its the right one that swivels dummy!!!!!!!!!! as i moved to move the non moving handle, yeah wedged my hand tween the handle and 400 degree door, darn i hate when that happens!

Singing the old "Large Firebox Blues". When it is an arms length to the back they can bite ya.

Back of hand between the first knuckle and thumb. Bumped it on the inside top of the firebox, as I was re-adjusting an errant placed split.

Took the hair off my knuckles while loading wood into a burning fire... Amazing, really, the gloves were right there, we even have the fire-tongs, but no, I had to just use my hands...

NOTHING smells worse than burning hair :p

Don't ask me how but I got my left sholder the other night.

Right inside part of forearm , at the end of where my glove ends. Skin and hot cast iron don't mix very well. I guess its all part of the learning curve, wonder when I'll quit learning.

I think there was a post about drunk stove tending.

After several good zingers last year, I went out and spent the $15 on a set of insulated leather "fireplace" gloves (looks like welder's mitts to me) that go halfway to my elbows. Told the missus that they were a present for her since whe was always worried about catching a burn, but truth be told, I feel a lot better using them too. Causing me to get a little too brave though, as I've lingered a little long in the firebox a few times now, leaving a bit of a singed leather smell. Smells a lot better than singed skin and hair though.

I was going scott free until today after reading this thread. This afternoon I pulled a too big log out of the stove and caught an ember under my thumb. Guess I've been broken in for the season.

Back of the hand. Just touching an interior surface for a split second is all it takes. Almost always on the top of the door opening. My stove (and McGriz, Kate...etc...) have a little peice of metal that directs the airwash at the top of the door opening. It's hard to see, and it's a rare canadian metal that seems to stay about 4000 degrees and doesn't get red.

thumb nuckle of right hand. not too painful just turned the skin white for a few days. Now if you want to get into how many times I have bumped my right arm against the latch on the door while rebuilding the fire and gotten a soot "tattoo" on my right sleeve. I think we are in the teens.

Right forearm- catching a log that fell against the glass, door hit me..

left hand, three fingers filling the steamer, touched the singlewall..

Both very early am, 4:00, not enough coffee to get the brain going..

Fingers, I'm not a big fan of my stoves door handle. You have to wear gloves or you burn your fingers. Oh well, I guess it's a built in safety feature. It forces you to have gloves on before you open the door. I just have to remember to put them on!

I have a 3" long line on the top of my wrist because of the smoke curtain. Every so often i'll get bit by her. Smarts for about 2 seconds. I always have a burn somewhere on me from it.

Knock on wood, but so far for the stove season I am burn free. I paid for it double over the 4th of July, though. Who would have thought that one sparkler takes about 30 seconds to burn completely, but lighting a bundle of 6 or 7, they take about 0.003 seconds for a complete burn.

Corey

PS - Another "completely sober" injury!

Attachments

• carnage.JPG
    carnage.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 1,284
Youuuucchhh. Thanks cozyheat. You just saved me. I was gonna have that extra piece of chocolate cream pie outta the fridge, but somehow I'm not hungry now. Hmmmm....July 4th, eh? Would there have been any liquid refreshments involved? ;-P

EDIT-woops, did you edit your post, or am I jsut stupid and missed your last line the first time around?

Yep , Corey wins. ( so to speak )

Tho i have never burn myself on a wood stove in 15+ years of using them i make up for it when welding.
Just something about weld splatter and slag in your lap early in the morning that wakes you up.

Status
Not open for further replies.