WHERE DO I GET AN ADJUSTABLE CYLINDER STOP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jabbers

Oct 15, 2008
NE OHIO
I want to get a adjustable cyclinder stop for my log splitter. I'm going to put a 4-way wedge on my spliter. The reason why i need one is because my wedge can't retract all the way due to the dewooding bars. Where can I get one?

personally I'd remove the kickoff (dewooding) bars as they are a danger pinch point when cylinder is moving in detented mode on retract. On extend, let go of handle, motion stops. On retract, it keeps moving. On the rare times I get something stuck I just hold a short piece of 3 inch branch, or the nearest chunk of wood, between wood and cylinder.
My second choice, would be to modify the slider, or add bars/stops to the kickoffs.
Third choice, or if you want temporary, is to get some agricultural cylinder stops. They are two round half circle cast iron pieces held together around the rod by an almost circular spring band/c shaped clamp. Usually were in 1/2 and 1 inch thickness, stacked on the rod to limit stroke on farm equpment. Try TSC, Mills Fleet Farm, or your equivalent farm supply.
Northern has some block type ones that have a different spring arrangement but same concept.

kcj

The amount of pressure it takes for the detent to kick out may vary by model. I experimented with mine, putting a piece of wood behind the wedge and it just crushed it. I wanted to shorten the stroke to increase the cycle times.
YMMV

If you put a 4-way wedge on it, then that hitting the log ejector should make it kick out of return mode anyway.... Another thing to remember is that supposedly the kick out pressure is adjustable, see the Prince valve manual...

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
If you put a 4-way wedge on it, then that hitting the log ejector should make it kick out of return mode anyway.... Another thing to remember is that supposedly the kick out pressure is adjustable, see the Prince valve manual...
Good to know. I saw the mods you did on your splitter with the holes to mount a bolt through and wondered if you had to use a hardened bolt. Did you have to adjust the kick-out pressure?

I just used a standard hardware store grade bolt, WITHOUT adjusting the kickout pressure, and saw the bolt turn into a pretzel before my eyes :bug: I haven't done anything with that concept since, as I was trying to get back to splitting as quickly as I could to get all my splitting done before the snow started flying.

I haven't yet played with the kickout pressure, but it is something on my list of to-do's before I start serious splitting again. I've actually been thinking about turning the auto-return off completely, as I'm finding that it is almost easier to just manually bring the wedge back to where I want it for the next split... It is what I do when helping my friend in his wood business as his splitter doesn't auto-return, and I can crank serious production on it.

Gooserider

We're probably talking different wedge styles here but I was able to just cut the "unstuckers" down a tad where the wings would pass over it.
Good luck and be creative.
Ken

Something like this?
http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_34190_-1______14345|14397|14400|34190?listingPage=true&Special=false

Status
Not open for further replies.