Where do I measure stack temps?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEd

Feeling the Heat
May 9, 2008
Rural New England
I've mounted by probe thermometer about 30 inches above the "T" that comes out the back of my Tarm. Can't remember now why I put it so high(I swear I read it somewhere)...

Where is the best place to put it? My stack temps seem low, but maybe because I am measuring too far up?

The directions I got from Tarm say mount it just down stream of the boiler flue collar.
I believe lower stack temps mean that the heat is efficiently heating the water chamber and not wasted up the flue. As long as you are in gasification.

You're probably not losing much flue temp in 30 inches. Make sure that the probe is near the top side of the pipe. At low flow velocities, there can be quite a temperature difference in different parts of the flue cross-section.

Status
Not open for further replies.