Where do I take the Temp on my stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BurningBrutus

Oct 24, 2013
Amherst, NY
Hello everybody, i just bought a infrared Temp with the laser. I have a PE Super insert, the magnet thermometer is right in the middle above the glass. When the magnet thermometer reads 500f, i take the temp with the IR right to the right of the thermometer and it reads 400f (hottest part of the stove non glass), to the left of it 370f, and the middle of the glass reads 500f. So im confused, is the magnetic thermometer wrong? Where should i be taking the correct temp to give me the correct reading?

Does the manual tell you where to take the temp? If it does, then obviously, do that. However, most do not..... Reason being, it's not easy to say X temp is safe when measured in X spot, especially on an insert when the stove top cannot be easily viewed / measured.

Unless someone with the specific unit chimes in with what they have had luck with as far a temp readings and where, the best I can tell you is with a full load of wood, if you have the air mostly closed once things are rolling along, and you are getting burn times that seem reasonable for the size of the unit (can reload easily in the morning, etc) then you are doing it right. Get used to what the temps are when that happens and keep things in that range.

Also, what magnetic thermometer are you using? If it's like the rutland's I've used, it may not be that accurate, but may be consistent. So even if it reads consistently high, get used to that and double check that it's keeping the same 100 degree difference with your IR.

pen

With the open space between the shroud and the stove top with PE inserts I would shoot a temp on the middle of the stove top just like with a free standing stove. That should be the hottest part of the stove.

ETA: Whoops. Never mind. I just looked and they covered that gap up with the Super Insert.

Last edited:
I have the same insert. I measure its temps with the IR thermometer in the center above the door holding the gun 5 to 6 inches from the stove. Temp there is about 100 F lower than stovetop early during the burn cycle and later about 50 F less. (Measured individually during a trial run where I removed the surround and air jacket top and read the stovetop and that spot in the front.) I try to have my insert not exceed 700 F in the front. You can also point the gun in the air channel and try to hit the flue collar. That should also give you a good indication on how hot the stove is.
You cannot read the glass, you need a matte and colored (preferably black) surface. Be also aware that the IR gun takes an average temp of an area. Check your manual for its D/S ratio and determine from that a good distance. http://www.grainger.com/content/qt-370-infrared-thermometers
ETA: Whoops. Never mind. I just looked and they covered that gap up with the Super Insert.

Judging from Brutus' avatar he got an older model where your idea is still possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.