where do stack it all??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ecocavalier02

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2008
ct
So recently i come into about 10 cord work of good solid oak, my yard however is only .25 acre. My wife has already threatened divorce if i bring an other *&^%^ cord of this stuff home. Any of your guys struggle with this issue? Im thinking about making a sort of parking garage for my wood, you know a few levels ect. Mabee i have a problem lol, my friends say i have an addiction, i say its more of a collection....

ecocavalier02 said:
So recently i come into about 10 cord work of good solid oak, my yard however is only .25 acre. My wife has already threatened divorce if i bring an other *&^%^ cord of this stuff home. Any of your guys struggle with this issue? Im thinking about making a sort of parking garage for my wood, you know a few levels ect. Mabee i have a problem lol, my friends say i have an addiction, i say its more of a collection....
I'm with your wife.
You have way to much wood.
I'll be over to get 5 or 6 cord.
Your wife will be happier..and me too!
We don't care how happy you are..lol.
And yes..you're a wood addict!

I have almost an acre but that includes some woods, a pool, deck etc...back yard isn't that big...already have a wood shed along the fence and i'm thinking I just need to extend it the whole length...girlfriend doesnt mind it as long as it is stacked nicely and she enjoys not having to pay for oil too!

I have 5 acres also..plenty of room for you guys to store some!
Look at my lonely wood piles for next year.

Attachments

• firewood.jpg
    firewood.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 672
Since it will take so long to dry, and you don't want to take up valuable space, do you know anyone that would let you store it on their property? It would be a bit more work moving it around, but that much good dry oak would be worth it.

Put it right there! :cheese:

Attachments

• wood hauler.jpg
    wood hauler.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 666
I've got 18 acres here. bring it on over and I'll help save your marriage.

Seriously, a happy wife is a happy life. Get a handle on your hoarding addiction and find a country friend where you can store some of it.

ecocavalier02 said:

I'm sure you'll miss your wife, but you'll get over it....as soon as you scrounge up another cord of wood ...LOL

Ask your wife if she would rather be spending $3-4K a year on heating bills instead ! She may understand a bit more with that approach ?

LLigetfa, now that's a heapen fortresshauzen!

ecocavalier02 said:

Best to keep the wife happy.....bring all the wood up here we have plenty of room. :vampire:

zap

Bring it up here to my place. Heck I'll trade you that wood for.a bottle of homemade, old fashioned Pennsylvania wood fired maple syrup....lol....seriously, find a friend or a relative that will allow you some temporary storage. I have around 23 cords (16 here at the house and 7 or so up on the edge of my father in laws woods)........surely you can find somebody sympathetic to your wood addiction......if not, I'm here for ya!!

ecocavalier02 said:

Bobby, we were running out of room too so we cleared a small area. Now we have more space to stack wood in:

Afterthechipping-2.jpg

Backwoods Savage said:
Bobby, we were running out of room too so we cleared a small area. Now we have more space to stack wood in:
I haven't run out of room but I do plan on clearing some space right along my South property line that borders my neighbour's hayfield. That will give me a spot with more sun and wind onto my stacks and will set it back further from my driveway. To me it's like looking at stacks of money but to the wife, it was an eyesore and she wanted the stacks gone, so much so that she even helped me move them.

I need to take down some small trees and level off the area so that I can mow around the stacks. For some reason it looks like grass won't grow around your stacks. If I didn't mow around mine, the hay would get as tall as the stacks. I will need to scrounge up some more pallets too or else put down stringers like you do.

Bobby, don't listen to all the previous wood hoarding, begging, scrounging addict posters. You would think they are freezing with no wood to burn with all those empty spaces waiting for wood when in reality they have cords upon cords stacked for years. Lol....:). Find a friend or relative to store the wood for ya, or give the wife the heating bill (hopefully you use propane) and watch how fast she's helping you stack that wood at your own home! :)

I think you are a prime candidate for a holz hausen. Really.

If you put a bunch of pallets on the ground in a large square, start in the center, and start stackin' in the round, and take your time and do it well, so that the splits remain level to leaning inward a bit, you can get a large amount of wood in a relatively small area and have it look pretty nice too.

I built one a few years back, went around once, then around again, and then the third row, and even the fourth, by the time I went around that 4th time I KNEW I had a bunch of wood stacked there in a small space. Heck, you could go around 6 or 7 times or more and just have one huge mound of firewood, then plant the American Flag on top of it :)

Check out the stacks here.....they are some of the finest I've ever seen.....

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/89166/

Start of by telling her you have a plan on how to make this wood burning hobby of yours bring in some extra cash. Let her know you could probably sell this premium oak for $400 a cord if this deal goes though. Then go buy her something. Now you have her attention and she should be in a better mood. Start bringing the wood home and stack it nice and neat. Put an add on craigs list for $400 a cord that people will just laugh at and ignore you because no one would pay that much. After about six months hopefully she will be used to seeing all those stacks and let it ride.

Or the whole plan could just fall apart at some point but atleast you will be warm all alone in that house for the next few years.

JoeyD said:
Or the whole plan could just fall apart at some point...
Ja, she might count her chickens before they hatch and go run up a $4000 credit card bill. Then you'll be warm and alone and broke.

My buddy stole my lap top and wrote this. pretty funny i guess. he came to my house and everybody makes fun of me for hearth. lol so he got on my lap top and wrote this as a joke. i guess its somewhat true. lol

ecocavalier02 said:
My buddy stole my lap top and wrote this. pretty funny i guess. he came to my house and everybody makes fun of me for hearth. lol so he got on my lap top and wrote this as a joke. i guess its somewhat true. lol

Ha! Your buddy is a piece of balsa!

He took me for a ride for sure, crap, I was really feelin' sorry for ya :)

You got a great friend there, the age of practical jokes ain't over!

ecocavalier02 said:

When your yard gets full just make sure you show up at your buddies house with a truck load of wood to stack on his lot. :snake:

zp

zapny said:
ecocavalier02 said:

When your yard gets full just make sure you show up at your buddies house with a truck load of wood to stack on his lot. :snake:

zp
his landlord might not appreciate it lol. all in good fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.