Where do you dump your ashes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krooser

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2008
Waupaca, WI
www.rumblefest.net
Well, not YOUR ashes exactley but the ones from your stove?

The last two years I've been dumping them in the snow but I've been having a lot of winter damage to the lawn and maybe the chemicals in the ash are killing the lawn.

Any idea?

Maybe get a metal trash can and collect them in there until you find a place to dump them? I have the luxury of dumping mine over the hill behind my house where I dump my grass clippings.

I have a small galvanized can with a tight fitting lid that I collect them in and when that gets full they go to the local transfer station.

krooser said:
Well, not YOUR ashes exactley but the ones from your stove?

The last two years I've been dumping them in the snow but I've been having a lot of winter damage to the lawn and maybe the chemicals in the ash are killing the lawn.

Any idea?

Krooser, from what i can find out, the ashes aren't the problem, unless your dumping them in big piles on the lawn....LOL. Wood ashes actually work kinda like lime, and supposedly are good for the lawn. Here's an article i saw:

"Ash is composed of many major and minor elements needed by the tree for plant growth. Since most of these elements are extracted from the soil and atmosphere during the tree's growth cycle, they are elements that are common in our environment and are also essential elements in the production of crops and forages. Calcium is the most abundant element in wood ash and gives the ash properties that are similar to agricultural lime. Ash is also a good source of potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, and aluminum. In terms of commercial fertilizer, average wood ash would probably be about 0-1-3 (N-P-K). In addition to these macronutrients, wood ash is also a good source of many micronutrients that are needed in trace amounts for adequate plant growth. Wood ash contains few elements that pose environmental problems. Heavy metal concentrations are typically low and not in a highly extractable or available form."

I dump mine in the garden as well.

Thanks... I was hoping i wouldn't have to buy a bunch of ash trays....

I put mine in my Green Waste Can, Recycle Can

i cut my rose bushes back every year, and dump my ashes on them all winter. also put some around the lilacs as well.

SparkyDog,

You are BAD dog!! :)

I dump my pellet stove and wood boiler ashes in an area, over a banking, where I dump other yard clean up debris.

Our local transfer station has an ash dump spot also.

Ranger

Mine are going in the garden, On the lawn and in the flower beds.

It acts like lime on moss beds. I wet the moss and lay a heavy layer on it, Burns the moss and it turns brown.

jay

jtakeman said:

It acts like lime on moss beds. I wet the moss and lay a heavy layer on it, Burns the moss and it turns brown.

jay
hey jay.....i was thinkin about putting it on the lawn myself.......any benefits you can see from doing it?

HEMI said:
jtakeman said:

jay
hey jay.....i was thinkin about putting it on the lawn myself.......any benefits you can see from doing it?

Hemi, It seems to act like good old lime. And its free. I will put my money on the ash's have more nutrients than lime too! I still have to use a crab grass prevent-er and a grub-x product. I haven't bought lime for a few years now.

Try a small spot, Just to see.

I put them in the garden. Mix it up in the spring.

I spread the ashes around in the garden and flower beds

In the garden, we had our best cukes ever thsi year, after doing this for several years. I may try dumping them in the bed of my neighbor's truck and let him distribute them on the highway. Or maybe mix them into a big bag of cat food.

fill small holes in the yard with it. Had an old clothes line pole I removed. Filled it in nicely with last years ashes.

We have a small, metal can with a cover on the front porch. I put the ashes in there then spread them in the flower beds in the spring.

Dump in the driveway when it gets slickery.

I always just dumped them in my burn pit, never thought of the garden?? although I do put saw dust in there, I guess I have a new spot to put them now, thanks! I have thought about it on the icy driveway but was afraid of tracking it all into the house...

Status
Not open for further replies.