Where Do You Measure Temp?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

F4jock

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2014
Red Rock, PA
So I went out and bought a Kintrex. Where should I be measuring temp on my Harman Accentra insert?

I have the cheaper Ryobi version. On the stove, I just shoot the laser into the the heat exchanger tubes, but I'm not sure how useful that info is. What I found is useful, or at least informative, is to walk around the house and measure room temp, right next to where all my unused electric heat thermostats are. That lets me know when to turn the old Dial-a-Fire knob up or down, and it's also helped me figure out the best places to put a couple of small fans to help with convection flow.

I point mine at the top of my burn pot through the glass. I know im getting the temp of the glass surface, but it's a good indicator. You have to make sure you shoot from the same place and hit the same spot everytime, the temp will very from just moving a few inches. I know how hot it should be on every setting, comes in handy when testing new pellets, what burns cooler and what burns hotter, etc.

I point mine at the top of my burn pot through the glass. I know im getting the temp of the glass surface, but it's a good indicator. You have to make sure you shoot from the same place and hit the same spot everytime, the temp will very from just moving a few inches. I know how hot it should be on every setting, comes in handy when testing new pellets, what burns cooler and what burns hotter, etc.
Curious. What temp do you get?

Depends on the setting. The setting I use when it is in the 30's outside I get a reading of about 310-316. When its in the 20's 390-400ish, teens and high single digits, 519-525 and so on. That's using Greenway pellets, varies with different grade pellets.

On the Castile the front door cover partially blocks the convection air outputs....I have a couple of spots I measure from on it...being black cast iron in the direct air path and not physically connected to the firebox I am pretty sure my IR readings accurately reflect the air temp coming off the stove.....(which typically is around 200F) However I found so much variation in readings depending on where it is in a burn cycle (i.e.since the last drop of pellets) how much live coals are in the burn pot, how much time its been since a cleaning etc. that trying to track the temps really is not very useful.....it order to be able to measure the difference between pellets for instance I'd have to compare measurements under the same circumstances which is pretty hard to achieve....so far the most consistent results is: clean the stove...run the stove for an hour, then measure (2 or 3 locations) every 5 minutes for another hour, then average the results.

I haven't measured. All I know is that it is damn hot at anything at setting 4 or higher (stove temp).
Yeah, that measurement was taken at max run for only a half hour. You cannot even walk within 6 feet of it lol. I normally run on 1 with air temps in the 140's. Alwausbrun blower on high. Of course none of this really matters except to those that have the exact same stove.

I clamp an oven thermometer right at the air outlet. My IR gun reads 250ish right there on the metal, oven temp reading is more like 175 to 125. I am surprised at the temp swing within the space of an hour. image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.