Where does the air for the secondary tubes come from?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beagle

Dec 20, 2005
Does it come from the damper opening or is there another inlet somewhere? Century 2500 wood insert.

beagle said:
Does it come from the damper opening or is there another inlet somewhere? Century 2500 wood insert.
I was wondering the same thing about my stove. It would be nice if the owner's manual had an exploded view diagram showing how it's all put together. Inquiring minds want to know.

On my insert the primary and secondary air both come from the same hole in the back. The intake tube then splits, 1/2 goes to the front of the stove through the primary air adjustment flap, and the other 1/2 goes up a heating channel in the back of the stove, to the secondary air baffle on top of the firebox. There's a diagram of this in the manual, and when I cleaned out the stove after last season I saw what they described. A copy of the diagram is below.
My understanding is that the secondary air in (most?) modern stoves is wholly unregulated, and adjusting the primary will have no effect on the secondary air.

-- Mike

Attachments

• Jotul Air Flow.JPG
    Jotul Air Flow.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 876
Hey Beagle, How long have you had the Century and how well does it do for you? how big a house is it heating, etc.?

On our Morso 3610 there is a hole like Mike W describes on the back of the stove where all air enters the stove
I can hear the secondary air components clicking sometimes......... especially after the kids are asleep and if the 747 (humidifier) isnt running
The clicking is most evident if I am on the verge of hitting 500 on the stack (which I try to do once a day to help keep the pipes clean)
Manufacturer says 250-350 stack temp is the best operating temp for the stove

I have had the Century for a little over a month now. Got it from Northern Tool Co. I am using it as a whole-house heater during the day, auxiliary at night with electric baseboard. I have an 1800 sq ft ranch with garage converted to family room. The entire house heats well with the stove,except for the family room. It can get up to 80 in entire house except for family room which is way down the hall and gets to only 68 or so. For the price I am happy with it. Drawbacks are that the fire box is too small,so it is difficult to get an overnight burn. I have a flexible SS liner in an uninsulated interior chimney.

On our Jotul F3 CB secondary air comes in through an opening in the back of the stove behind the heat shield. The air is pre-warmed by passing over the rear burn plate. On the F100 Nordic it enters through a chamber under the firebox and passes up behind the rear burn plate.

On the antique, shouldn't be allowed to live Sierra insert it comes in through openings at the top of each door glass and it routed across a smoke dam at the front of firebox then to the baffle.

Status
Not open for further replies.