Where have all the used stoves gone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

precaud

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny New Mexico
www.linearz.com
In past years I've always been able to find good local deals on interesting stoves on Craigslist. But this year - nada, nothing so far. Not many used stoves for sale at all, save the occasional grossly-overpriced VC or Morso, and lots of potbellies, Franklins, and old boxstoves for $300 and up (are they kidding?) This may be the first year I don't have a project stove to experiment with. Sigh.

Are you seeing the same thing in your area?

I've been shopping a bit for a replacement for a cabin and I'm thinking the folks are going to have to go new. Last deal I saw was for a hearthstone for 250 bucks that wasn't in bad shape, but was too late. Otherwise, I agree, things on the other corner of the country seem to be a bit overpriced as well. I'll keep holding off as the cabin is actually better suited to a pre-epa stove but that old barrel stove's days look like they are numbered. Maybe we'll just have to build another!

pen

You need to be careful with thread titles like this. Before you know it BrotherBart will be chiming in with song lyrics and telling us they've "gone to graveyards every one". :-S

I've seen a ton of deals for VC stoves and a few Hearthstone stoves. A Mansfield for $950 was pretty sweet. Hopefully I can pick up a Cat Defiant sometime after February that has the Cat and Assembly in working order.

WoodpileOCD said:
You need to be careful with thread titles like this. Before you know it BrotherBart will be chiming in with song lyrics and telling us they've "gone to graveyards every one". :-S

It was a set up just for him :)

They're out there. I got my small Weso tile stove in great shape for $100.00 and just bought a small Tulikivi masonry heater for $500.00. Both off Craigslist.

Ehouse

There's never many around here. Most are the old smoke dragons and people ask a ridiculous price. There's a couple of them that have been on CL for more than a year.

I'm sure it varies by region. Around here smoke dragons are plentiful and cheap. Most people don't know such a thing as an EPA stove even exists. I just sold a Magnolia. Advertised it here first with no bites. Sold it on CL in a few days for 500.00. Guy who bought it didn't know it was an EPA stove. He just wanted a nice stove about that size.

precaud said:
Are you seeing the same thing in your area?

As of today, there were over 840 listings for "wood stove"and 315 for "woodstove" in the New Hampshire Craigslist. (There is probably some overlap between the two).

If you have a Gmail account I would suggest formatting Reader to pick up the RSS feeds from all of the area Craigslists near you. I did and that allows me to automate the search so all I have to do is open Reader rather than doing a bunch of individual searches and if you check once or twice a day you can get a jump on a good lead now and then. I grabbed an average+ condition Avalon Olympic for $375 last month to use as an insert.

i have been seeing ad's in the michigan area all year. mostly decent priced, but i am not in the market for one so dont pay too close attention. also people are useing them more and going form gas back to wood.
got to remember, bad economy and high scrap price = old heavy wood stove go's bye bye for some quick cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.