Where is all this cheap propane that people are talikng about?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trogers

Aug 25, 2008
Southern NH
I hate to sound like Andy Rooney, but "did you ever wonder where all this really cheap propane that people are talking about comes from?" Seriously, I live in southern New Hampshire and I called around today and could not find any propane even close to $2.00 a gallon, nevermind $1.50. Over the last several weeks there have been posts of propane in the $1.50-1.75 range, but when asked where they are getting it no one seems to want to share their secret source.

I'm not saying that I don't believe these posts, I'm saying that I'd like some at that price for my hot water and cooking. What are the names of these dealers with the spectacular prices?

Help the rest of us find a deal!

They just filled me today (even though they weren't supposed to) at just under $1.90 here in Wi. I am kinda on the edge of my companies' route so I pay a little more but they are still cheaper than the other companies in the area. I was not happy because the money I have to pay them was put away for another ton of pellets next month. Even at $1.90 a gallon its still cheaper to burn pellets at around $200 a ton here. I feel sorry for you guys in the NE- you really get shafted with fuel prices, except for gasoline. Wi is very high due to our taxes- I am paying $1.79 still.

WarmInNH said:
I have the same question. I called my propane provider a few weeks ago and they quoted me a price of $2.91/gallon. That is about the same I paid last year. The cheap propane has definitely not found its way up to NH.

someone posted this link earlier which is interesting to see some of the differences:

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pri_wfr_a_EPLLPA_PRS_cpgal_w.htm

Yeah Warm, it sounds like you are in the same spot as me. It does strike me as odd that dealers in Western Mass and NJ can be selling at roughly half of the regional average. Also, I believe that NH has lower fuel taxes than Mass, so I don't think that this could be the issue either.

Mattman193 said:
They just filled me today (even though they weren't supposed to) at just under $1.90 here in Wi. I am kinda on the edge of my companies' route so I pay a little more but they are still cheaper than the other companies in the area. I was not happy because the money I have to pay them was put away for another ton of pellets next month. Even at $1.90 a gallon its still cheaper to burn pellets at around $200 a ton here. I feel sorry for you guys in the NE- you really get shafted with fuel prices, except for gasoline. Wi is very high due to our taxes- I am paying $1.79 still.

I paid $1.73 to fill up my car tonight, and that was around the lowest in my area. What part of WI are you in?

I am in California right now and they have auto fuel for about $1.75/gallon. I filled up my tank in NH this past weekend for $1.73/gallon. I have never seen CA gas prices anywhere near NH gas prices. CA is usually about .50 cents higher. I paid $1.45 in Indiana during Thanksgiving week and I expect it has come down since. So not only is propane high, but auto fuel is high in NH. NH is becoming the pay now or die state :)

My propane company also filled my tank in Sept they weren't supposed to also at $2.76 a gallon. That came to $579.00 that was to go toward the stove payment. I think there trying to unload there propane that was bought at the higher rate. I told them I would call when I need propane. I still see the same price here in AZ
No drop in price. Burning a bag a day and still the furnace is off
:coolsmile:

WarmInNH said:
I am in California right now and they have auto fuel for about $1.75/gallon. I filled up my tank in NH this past weekend for $1.73/gallon. I have never seen CA gas prices anywhere near NH gas prices. CA is usually about .50 cents higher. I paid $1.45 in Indiana during Thanksgiving week and I expect it has come down since. So not only is propane high, but auto fuel is high in NH. NH is becoming the pay now or die state :)

Yeah, I moved up from MA a few years ago to avoid oppressive taxation and wasteful spending...maybe I should have stayed down there?

Status
Not open for further replies.