Where is Gooserider?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mary-Anne said:
Not a morbid picture.

Mary-Anne, If I know Kenny - that was said with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Hmmm....but then again - knowing Kenny - I might have to rethink that. :lol:

Goose, best wishes for a fast recovery! Hopefully some M/C therapy to look forward to when you are ready.

Cheers,

Beowulf

While Goose enjoys mead,
I think he would enjoy attacking a large trunk
with a chainsaw more...or using some new toy
that's large and dangerous. :)

Mary-Anne
P.S. Not crutches. Wheelchair.
Hence, ramps. Maybe not forever.

Mary-Anne said:
While Goose enjoys mead,
I think he would enjoy attacking a large trunk
with a chainsaw more...or using some new toy
that's large and dangerous. :)

Mary-Anne
Hence, ramps. Maybe not forever.

Yep he has sawdust in his blood!

Maybe??? Yikes. Lets stay positive now.

Mary-Anne said:

Mary-Anne, if it is not prying too much, would you mind giving an overall view of where our buddy Goose is at physically. I think many (me included) may not have the full grasp of what his condition currently is, as well as future outlook.

Mary-Anne said:
I took a picture of him. It is attached.
Holy crap, nobody mentioned anything about the tree horribly mauling his face!!!!

Glad to see you sitting up. No matter what happens, just remember that you'll be getting along a little better today than you were a few days ago. same goes for tomorrow, and the next day, and so on.

I think the appropriate wheelchair saw will be a top handled trimming saw for now. I think SmokinJay just got a 192, that should work well. leaves one hand free for the chair, and allows you to cut off to the side, since you cant get face to face with a log quite the same. You'll have to spread your legs in the chair to get a good shot at rounds with a fiskars, but as long as you are protected that should be doable. let's hope this wheelchair business is more temporary than you think....

Goose & Mary Ann, I haven't had the pleasure of "meeting" you online, but I just want to say to get well soon!

Goose and Mary-Anne, Hope you are on the road to recovery soon . There are a lot of great people on this forum. Hope the rains are not adding to your problems. GET WELL. Labrador

Goose & MA glad to hear things are slowly getting better for you both. Goose you are aware of my situation from last year, so I can now tell you that things do get better with time. I look forward to once again seeing your insightful comments back here on hearth.com Best wishes and get well soon.

'bert

Hi, just a quick note to say that Craig has just come by and dropped me off a loaner machine so I could get back online. I have a thing I have to go to right now, but I will be posting more in an hour or two... Glad to be back at last!

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
Hi, just a quick note to say that Craig has just come by and dropped me off a loaner machine so I could get back online. I have a thing I have to go to right now, but I will be posting more in an hour or two... Glad to be back at last!

Gooserider

WHOOOOHOOOO! Goose is back.

Hey, Goose! Great to 'see' you back online!

Shari

Welcome back, my friend...to the show that never ends. Real good to see you on the forums once again. Rick

Hope All is well congrats on the computer!

Woohoo! Welcome Back Goose. Good to hear from you. We're all pulling for you buddy!

Thanks Craig for helping Goose out with the laptop. Very good news indeed. Now he and Hog can compare gruesome stitches pictures. :smirk:

Welcome back Goose. Good to hear from ya.

I hope it's okay with everyone if I let Goose talk about what happened
and what his condition is now. He has better information about both of
these than I do.

I very much appreciate all the support here.

Mary-Anne

Thanks, Mary-Anne. Best wishes to both of you.

Mary-Anne said:
I hope it's okay with everyone if I let Goose talk about what happened
and what his condition is now. He has better information about both of
these than I do.

I very much appreciate all the support here.

Mary-Anne

Mary-Anne, we very much appreciate the role you've played as these events have unfolded. If not for you, we wouldn't know where the heck Gooserider went or why. Of course it's OK for Goose to "speak" for himself, now that he has a "voice". I'm sure we're all looking forward to hearing more from him. But...you've become pretty special to us here, so don't go too far away for too long. :) Rick

Grrr.... The wireless setup here seems to have issues - if I don't post really quickly it logs me out w/o telling me and then sends me to the hospital login screen instead of posting my message which it discards... It just trashed the VERY long message I had written about what happened. Will need to try again later to retype it... However update on my medical condition and outlook...

I have lots of broken ribs - the tree got most of the ribs on my right side, and then when they found I had the ruptured aorta, the Dr's got most of the ribs on the left when they went in to fix that... I am currently limited to 10 pounds lift on my arms, and that is pushing things...

I also have a broken left tibia, which is one of the bones in the lower leg, just below the knee - it has a rod in it, but because of where the break is, it will need to do a lot of healing before I'm allowed to put ANY weight on it...

But those will definitely heal.

What is more of an issue, is that in order to fix my aorta, they had to clamp off a lot of stuff, including the blood flow to my spinal cord... End result is I am now a "T-5, ASIA-B" spinal cord case... For those that don't speak medical, T-5 is the level of my damage, and corresponds to about mid back level, or parapelgic level. The "ASIA B" has nothing to do with geography, but stands for a scale created by some outfit, American Spinal Institute Assoc. or something like that, and which means that I have limited sensation in my legs and areas affected by the T-5 part, but no control. I can feel someone touching my legs, but I can't move them, and can't tell the difference between being poked w/ a finger and poked w/ a pin (Literally, it's part of the testing they do...)

As with all spinal cord cases, the future is a mystery, some people "reconnect" and others don't, and nobody seems to know how or why, how long it will take, or anything else along that line. However the current rehab plan that I am on essentially boils down to learning how to do "independent living" from a wheelchair for the forseeable future...

Thus a lot of the help that I'm going to be needing is going to be related to making the house "accessible" and the like... Part of this needs to happen before I can go home, but there are a lot of questions involved, which I will probably be raising in other threads...

Gooserider

What a nightmare. Sounds like it was really touch and go there for awhile. Sure glad that you were close to good docs and facilities. We're all grateful for Mary-Anne contacting us and keeping the clan updated. She's been great.

You're a determined enough cuss that I'm sure you will get those legs working for you. It may take a while, but stick to it and eat well. We're all happy to pitch in with advice and some helping hands. Wish I was closer. We'll see. In the meantime, treat yourself well and keep us posted. It's great to hear from you.

PS: To get around the flakey wireless, type up long posts in WordPad or Notepad and then copy and paste it into the reply section.

Status
Not open for further replies.