Where is the Best Place to Attach a Magnetic Thermometer on a Heatilator Constitution (or HeatNGlo N

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njkev

Aug 31, 2008
New Jersey
Hi,
I have a Heatilator Constitution hi-efficiency fireplace. I made the "mistake" to inquire of the manufacturer (Heatilator), "Where should I place my Rutland magnetic thermometer?" Their response was "We don't use Rutland thermometers." So, is there anyone with this fireplace that uses a thermometer, and has advice on where exactly is the appropriate location?

I am also considering to buy second thermometer, and place it behind the fascia directly onto the flue pipe (collar). I think I will be able to read it OK through the fan vent slots.

BTW.....Heatilator couldn't even tell me the nominal temperature range and "over firing" temperature for the fireplace. They seem so afraid to give advice or commit to ANYTHING at all with regard to their product!!!

Kev

Anyone have any thoughts?? I have the unit like an inferno with real good secondary burn using good quality seasoned oak (medium splits)........but have yet to measure more than 420 deg. F on the metal of the front doors. I measured with Rutland magnetic and my IR thermometer.

I have the same issue with my Kozy Heat Z42CD. I asked the same question here, and didn't get much response (us fireplace guys are vastly outnumbered by the stove guys). I got the same result as you when I contacted Kozy Heat.

I also put a Rutland on the front door. It typically is between 300 - 400 when I have a good hot fire going. I have also never gotten it much above 425 or so. Unfortunately, I think it is just "feel" when using the thermometer on the fireplaces. I feel pretty comfortable with the fires I have had burning when the door reads in that range. Therefore, I am using that as my benchmark. Sorry that I am not helping much, but I think if you are happy with the burn times, seem to have good fires going, and are burning good seasoned wood, the 400 mark on the door doesn't seem out of line. I would simply using it as a benchmark for the temp your fireplace seems to like.

I was very worried about overfiring my Kozy Heat at first, but now that I have some burning time under my belt, I am less worried. As long as I don't load it to the gills and leave the intake wide open, I don't think I will overfire it. Once I start shutting the air down, it seems to be well in control and the door cruises along at the 350 - 400 mark. Good luck.

the_dude said:
I have the same issue with my Kozy Heat Z42CD. I asked the same question here, and didn't get much response (us fireplace guys are vastly outnumbered by the stove guys). I got the same result as you when I contacted Kozy Heat.

I also put a Rutland on the front door. It typically is between 300 - 400 when I have a good hot fire going. I have also never gotten it much above 425 or so. Unfortunately, I think it is just "feel" when using the thermometer on the fireplaces. I feel pretty comfortable with the fires I have had burning when the door reads in that range. Therefore, I am using that as my benchmark. Sorry that I am not helping much, but I think if you are happy with the burn times, seem to have good fires going, and are burning good seasoned wood, the 400 mark on the door doesn't seem out of line. I would simply using it as a benchmark for the temp your fireplace seems to like.

I was very worried about overfiring my Kozy Heat at first, but now that I have some burning time under my belt, I am less worried. As long as I don't load it to the gills and leave the intake wide open, I don't think I will overfire it. Once I start shutting the air down, it seems to be well in control and the door cruises along at the 350 - 400 mark. Good luck.

Thanks for your input. I guess I could always correlate the temperature reading on the door to when I see my flue collar glow in the dark!! (I'm just kidding!) I did notice, and confirm with my IR that there is sometimes almost 75 deg. F difference in temperature between the metal at center point between the two doors and to the top corner of either door. I will likely just keep mine in the center between the two doors.

I do agree.....the "stove" guys often seem hesitant to give any input at all because they don't realize our hi-efficiency "fireplaces" are REALLY just flush wall-mounted STOVES! We do have MANY common issues as standard stoves...but also have different issues such as our limited exposed metal in which to measure temperature!! The manufacturers basically suck when it comes to giving specifications or advice on their own damn products! I guess that's why we are ALL here in the trenches here together.....

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.