Where is the Okanagan Pellet mill????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thibs53

Jul 6, 2008
Western Me.
Trying to contact a pellet mill from Brittish Columbia distributing pellets under the name of OKANAGAN PELLETS. White base with green letters and pine tree on bag but no further information. I have searched but found nothing. Does anyone recognize the name and know where in British Columbia they are made or the name of the mill that produces them? Thanks for any help!!

I googled Okanagan and Westwood (apparently the earlier name). Here's the URL for a place named Westfibre in British Columbia. I don't have any other information. The bags I bought doesn't identify a website or company name other than"Okanagan Pellets". Please take a look at my post a few items down that I put up last night and note the comments people made. If you get any more inforamtion, pleass post it in a reply,. I would like to know a little more about the company before I buy more than a few bags.

http://www.westfibre.com/pellets.html

They will be all softwood pellets. Pine ,spruce and hemlock are the only wood that can be harvested in that area. If that means anything to ya. I run a stove and only burn pine. Seems some southern people have a problem with it. Not sure what the caviar is for pellet stoves.
N of 60

sswp is now offering these pellets. 1.3 ton pallets $350, would like to try them........seems awful expensive though

Thanks, Yukon. Interesting information about about the source of OK pellets. I'm not sure what to make of it, but I'll keep it in mind. (Of course, I also don't know what to make of the fact that someplace else offers hardwood! So I guess ignorance means I have an open mind.)

My main decision now is what I want for my four tons next season. I'm leaning towards two tons of hardwood from this region and two tons of softwood. I'll pick name brands and try this year for an average or moderate price.

(Prices are a whole separate question. You'd think Canadian softwood from Western Canada would be much more expensive than softwood from Quebec, which you can drive to in six or eight hours from Massachusetts. Doesn't seem to work that way.)

I just bought 4 tons of the Okanagan this morning. I decided to store them in my garage. I went on the soul fact that the salesman at the place where I bought my stove said he uses the same pellets. I asked him the differences between hard and soft.....and he said the soft were cheaper, and thats what he burned and never had a problem. I told him I really didnt care what I paid for them and he assured me that I won't be dissapointed with the soft wood pellet. He also said that there isn't much difference in the ash from soft to hard either...which made me happy as well. He told me the biggest thing is the soft are a little dustier than the hard...I dont have the stove yet....(I'm building an addition that would make my entire home about 2200 square feet. ) I also bought 400 gals. of oil. Im hoping to have some pellets left over at the end of the season..but will see. I bought a P68 Harmon and look forward to the fall when I can start to use it. I would say the sales staff at Northern Lights in Farmington, ME are a great bunch of guys, and glad I could do buisness local and be so satisfied

brian22 said:
I just bought 4 tons of the Okanagan this morning. I decided to store them in my garage. I went on the soul fact that the salesman at the place where I bought my stove said he uses the same pellets. I asked him the differences between hard and soft.....and he said the soft were cheaper, and thats what he burned and never had a problem. I told him I really didnt care what I paid for them and he assured me that I won't be dissapointed with the soft wood pellet. He also said that there isn't much difference in the ash from soft to hard either...which made me happy as well. He told me the biggest thing is the soft are a little dustier than the hard...I dont have the stove yet....(I'm building an addition that would make my entire home about 2200 square feet. ) I also bought 400 gals. of oil. Im hoping to have some pellets left over at the end of the season..but will see. I bought a P68 Harmon and look forward to the fall when I can start to use it. I would say the sales staff at Northern Lights in Farmington, ME are a great bunch of guys, and glad I could do buisness local and be so satisfied

Softwoods generally burn hotter and have less ash... I quit even trying to burn maple/oak and the like because the pine and fir pellets are so much cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.