1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Where is your prep area? (bucking, splitting etc)

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by CHeath, Mar 13, 2013.

1. ArsenalDon

ArsenalDon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA

Some of you have the most amazing wood piles I have ever seen...you sorta get a view of my splitting area here....the bucking happens in the woods
    Backwoods Savage likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Stax

Stax Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeastern PA
    Holy Goodness Dexter!
    DexterDay likes this.
  3. claybe

claybe Member

Loc:
    Colorado
    Just moved into a new house and the previous owner already built a fenced area in the front yard. I didnt think i would like it, but since the stove is upstairs it works out awesome. I think I can get about 7 cords in there and the will place another 10 cords around the property. I will post some pics when my area looks somewhat respectable, but holy cow you guys have some areas to drool over!!!
  4. claybe

claybe Member

Loc:
    Colorado
    Dexter can you share how you get your rounds so unified in length. PM would be fine. Great looking stacks!
  5. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

I have a stick that 18" in length. I use a paint stick or marker and mark every 18". Then make sure to have a sharp chain and let the the saw do the work.

The entire "Story" of my last Log Load is in my Signature (Evolution of a wood stack).

Takes time and patience.
  6. CHeath

CHeath Member

Loc:
    Northwest NorthCarolina Mtns
    Dang those last two are perfect! I'd hate to see y'all's houses. Bet they are tip top. Great thread!!!! Keep it up!
  7. Mitch Newton

Mitch Newton Member

Loc:
    Beavercreek, Ohio
    DexterDay and CHeath like this.
  8. Blue2ndaries

Blue2ndaries Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oregon
    Dex, I NEVER tire of looking at your set up and stacks...one of the Gold Stds on this forum.
    CHeath likes this.
  9. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Usually we cut and split it right at the site.of cutting (my buddy and I do tree removal). That way, its pretty much ready to stack when you bring it home. But if we're in a hurry to get the site cleaned up, we'll load it up and bring it home. It then gets processed ASAP on the one corner of my backyard. I really like doing it at the jobsite, keeps the clutter to a minimum in my backyard.....
    Lumber-Jack and Backwoods Savage like this.
  10. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Side yard, next to the garage. Due to a hump from the septic system and the lay of the land you can only see a bit of my firewood from the road . . . and I try to keep things relatively neat.
  11. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    I usually bring home rounds or halves and quarters of rounds if its a big one. I try to split them right off the truck in the driveway and then haul to the back yard and stack.
    0601111205.jpg

0601111405.jpg Got a little help from Mrs.Flatbedford that day.;)

The stack pretty much is the back yard of my .25 acre.
    DSC07076.JPG
    Blue2ndaries, ScotO and DexterDay like this.
  12. Lumber-Jack

Lumber-Jack Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Beautiful British Columbia
    Wow!
    Dexter, I'm glad you've got a handle on your Obsessive–compulsive personality disorder, because you are one step away from individually shrink wrapping all your firewood splits. :p

Maybe I better keep my mouth shut, I don't want to be giving you any ideas? ::P
    Backwoods Savage, ScotO and DexterDay like this.
  13. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    Rear entrance of my 2 acre lot.

Attached Files: