Where should I install a new Pellet Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JKoz

Sep 7, 2010
PA
In the near future, I will be purchasing a new Pellet Stove (probably Harman or QuadraFire). I am doing this for cleanliness (cut down on dirt brought into the house and the number of frozen bugs that awaken within the house) and ease of use (wife does not keep wood burners going). I have two options for installation:

1 - Remove existing Buck 91 wood burning insert in First Floor Family Room and replace with Pellet Stove insert. We do not have a fully open plan but the kitchen and family room are connected and the heat can easily rise to the Second Floor via steps. Good: we use Family Room continuously. Bad: When we use the Buck 91, the thermostat is shut down and the basement becomes frigid (unless I run both wood burners or use electric space heaters, both seem waste of fuel). A frigid basement means a cold floor and an uncomfortable First Floor (even though temperature is warm). Also, the Buck 91 is still in good shape and is fairly efficient.

2 - Remove old Fisher freestanding wood stove in Basement Rec Room and replace with Pellet Stove. In the last few years, we have been using this stove much more than the Buck 91 upstairs. If we keep the door to basement open, sufficient heat rises to keep First Floor comfortable. The Second Floor is chilly at night, though. Good: The Fisher is very inefficient (burns through a full load in several hours!), the Fisher does not vent well and frequently emits a "puff" of smoke. Bad: Replacing the Fisher stove means we have no way to heat the house without a source of electricity (the Buck and a pellet stove both require power). Also, I am a bit concerned that a pellet stove would not vent well from the basement (see below).

Either way, I will still have one wood burning stove. I can sometimes get free firewood and on weekends I want to have the option of burning firewood.

The basement Fisher has never really vented well. It vents into an exterior masonry chimney that is very tall. A 5" stainless steel vent runs within the 6" terra cotta chimney. On startup, I have always needed to be very carefull to keep from smoking out the house. Even when it is running hot, I get a frequent puff of smoke when I open the door. The pellet stove dealer tells me that they would run a new vent within the 5" and that the combustion fan in the pellet stove would overcome the backpressure easily. Sidewall venting is NOT an option from the basement becuase it is below grade.

Any comments, recommendations or additional questions?

thanks!

Generally speaking you install the stove where you want the heat... a pellet stove is a space heater.

If the basement walls are insulated the pellet stove will heat that area and the heat, of course, will rise to the first floor.

If you replace your Buck insert with a pellet insert you will have a toasty family room with a warmer (but not as warm as the family room) second story. You can use fans to help distribute the heat... I have a semi-open floor plan (since last spring) and use two fans to help distribute the heat throughout my home. Others here do the same.

One option may be to buy a freestanding stove and keep the Buck insert in place. free standing stoves have the advantage of usually having larger pellet hoppers and generally are easier to do a major cleaning on... something most of us here recommend after each ton of pellets. Your existing chimney may require a stainless liner for an insert install anyway so the extra cost of a vent may not be a deal killer.

Buy your stove from a reliable dealer with a good service dept..... to many dealers don't service what they sell... many sales people sell the stoves but don't own them and have never even operated one...

krooser said:
Generally speaking you install the stove where you want the heat... a pellet stove is a space heater.

If the basement walls are insulated the pellet stove will heat that area and the heat, of course, will rise to the first floor.

If you replace your Buck insert with a pellet insert you will have a toasty family room with a warmer (but not as warm as the family room) second story. You can use fans to help distribute the heat... I have a semi-open floor plan (since last spring) and use two fans to help distribute the heat throughout my home. Others here do the same.

One option may be to buy a freestanding stove and keep the Buck insert in place. free standing stoves have the advantage of usually having larger pellet hoppers and generally are easier to do a major cleaning on... something most of us here recommend after each ton of pellets. Your existing chimney may require a stainless liner for an insert install anyway so the extra cost of a vent may not be a deal killer.

Buy your stove from a reliable dealer with a good service dept..... to many dealers don't service what they sell... many sales people sell the stoves but don't own them and have never even operated one...

x2 what krooser said.

Status
Not open for further replies.