Where should I put my wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsox

Dec 11, 2009
nebraska
I've had my first stove up and running for about 2 months,love it. I had my first cord delivered and stacked it on pallets about 10 feet away from the side of my house. My house is all vinyl siding with stone foundation. Should I be worried about placing the wood to close to my house? I am having another cord delivered this weekend so I don't want to have to move it later. Another option I have is behind my garage which is all wood. I know putting it on pallets helps, would hate to get termites though. I would appreciate any input, thanks in advance.

Hi -

Putting down some Borax (Laundy isle) works well for keeping any wood eating critters at bay. My neighbors have had them. None of my homes has. I like ot keep it 50-100' away from the house. It is only 4' behind my small wood barn. I have it on pallets that are on cinder blocks due to local ordinance. I'd worry more about mice than termites.

ATB,
Mike

There are so many ways to answer that !!!! Let the imagination run wild :wow: .

Sandra Bullock might be available.

He he

That would be beautiful if she was available....My stacks are ready... HEHE

A good rule of thumb is to not stack wood closer than 30 feet from a building. Many disregard this rule, but it is still good advise.

Check with your local codes. Around here woodpiles must be 10 foot from the main structure and 5' away from the lot line.

Shari

Shari said:
Check with your local codes. Around here woodpiles must be 10 foot from the main structure and 5' away from the lot line.

Shari
I may be in trouble where do you live Shari

I don't think I've ever seen termites build tubes thru pallets.
Chew what's touching the ground I've seen.

I can walk out my front door about 20 feet and scratch down through the pine needles in the woods and show ya termites.
I just don't give them anything easier to munch on than they already have.

They have a fly away party once a year in the Spring, too, so blaming wood for 'getting' termites might not be terribly accurate.

I'd be more worried about the stacked wood being an eyesore for a neighbor and them complaining or in my own way in the Summer. 10 feet away might be all that some people have along their driveway on a smalll lot.
Darned convenient in January. probably more so in Nebraska compared to where I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.