Where to buy Biobricks on Long Island

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmcg

Oct 12, 2011
Long Island New York
Long time reader, first time poster.
I was wondering where I could buy them around here in Nassau. I see a few posters are from the Suffolk area so I thought they might know. I wanted to get them to supplement my wood, not be the sole source of fuel. I usually get 2 cords wood delivered in March or April for two reasons. 1-its usually cheaper and 2-I can let it season in my backyard and cover it when it rains. Yes only two cords. I burn Friday afternoon through Sunday night, and If I happen to be off from work. (It was to much work trying to keep it going with no one in the house all day long. And quite frankly the dog has a coat so she is on her own). I did luck out last year with all the storms we had over the spring/summer. I was able to grab enough wood to split that I didn't have to buy any last year. My wife wasn't so happy, but I kept saying that was worth about $300.00 and gave me a reason to throw back a few cold ones after splitting. Sorry kind of got off topic there

Jim

Welcome, Jim. Google "Long Island Envi Blocks," there's a guy that sells them and I believe delivers to Nassau. I have not used the blocks (every time I'm about to order them I choke on the firewood price differential, and I actually have a really good wood supplier who sells seasoned stuff at a good price), so I can't vouch for him or the product, but they are available.

Thanks for the info. Once i had a name I found it all over the place. I looked them up and they are in Massapequa. 15-20 minute drive for me. You are correct in the fact that they are expensive. For one ton I could get 2 cords of wood. There are pluses and minuses to this stuff. I guess one would need to weigh all options.
I might just pick up some samples and see how it goes from there.

Again thanks

Jim

Last year I got a pallet from the "The Log Spitter" 631-894-4010. He delivered to me in Oyster Bay. They burned well in my insert. I burned them both alone and mixed in with my fire wood. One of the pluses of using them in the room issue, I was nice to be able to stack them in my garage up to the ceiling. I am only able to store about two cords on my property.

If you search YouTube, he also has some video showing how the bricks burn. I may order some but half my cordwood is free scrounge and the other half costs $210/cord c/s/d, and I'm not sure I'd be saving a dime vs. natural gas burning the bricks. Would be nice to have a clean, compact reserve in the basement, though.

FYI, I burned some bricks from the log splitter last year during the winter from hell.

Mixing pretty wet firewood, and the bricks, got me through. Managed not to clog the chimneys, so I must have done something right:)

I think that if wood is going to be tight, and you can swing, it'd be worth it to have them around. It beats buying wood at 7 11. Ask me how I know this >:-(

Jimmcg said:
Thanks for the info. Once i had a name I found it all over the place. I looked them up and they are in Massapequa. 15-20 minute drive for me. You are correct in the fact that they are expensive. For one ton I could get 2 cords of wood. There are pluses and minuses to this stuff. I guess one would need to weigh all options.
I might just pick up some samples and see how it goes from there.

Again thanks

Jim

Jimmcg - first. Welcome to the forum. Always good to see more Long Islanders on here (as I watch the Islanders game on T.V. ). Where on the Island do you live? I'm in Levittown. If you think $310 a pallet is expensive, wait til you find out how much it costs to just buy a few bundles..... $7 each - about twice as much. No savings there. I burned a few last year just to see what the hype was all about. They burn OK... but nowhere near the burn times he claims. Because heating oil is damn close to $4 a gallon now.... if for some reason I found myself with no dry firewood (like THATS gonna happen!), it would still be cheaper to heat with bricks over #2 oil. But I burn 24/7, and would probably need 4 pallets ($1240) to get thru the winter..... still cheaper than the $3500 it would cost me in oil. Good luck to you, and again, welcome.

1 cranky 14-yr-old son eh? Division or MacArthur? Mine were, are, and will be in Division. As luck will have it I see that HD and Lowes are selling compressed logs now. I dont know how well they work. I cant find a listing on HDs website but it was about the same price for the same amount of logs as Lowes. Two different manufactures in HD and one in Lowes. I did see that one was made in Georgia. But since I was in the stores for something else (cave cricket killer..you have them yet) I really wasnt focusing on them.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_166713-1501...ntURL;=/pl__0__s?Ntt=wood+pellets&facetInfo;=

Wmk1956 said:
Last year I got a pallet from the "The Log Spitter" 631-894-4010. He delivered to me in Oyster Bay. They burned well in my insert. I burned them both alone and mixed in with my fire wood. One of the pluses of using them in the room issue, I was nice to be able to stack them in my garage up to the ceiling. I am only able to store about two cords on my property.

He delivers in Western Nassau County too. $310 for a ton, which he claims is equivalent to a cord of firewood, plus another $30 for shipping. $340 a cord is steep, but I guess there are some advantages to his product -- it takes up less room, and is nice a clean and can be kept indoors. Still, that's a lot of money to pay for the BTUs.

Just an update 349 picked up for a ton of bio bricks in northport.. Just called... OUCH!!

Status
Not open for further replies.