Where to buy Harman XXV?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

meffaman

Sep 5, 2007
I'm looking for a Harman XXV and would like to know the best place to buy. By best I mean best price with service down the road. A local place has them for $2975, but a place in NH quoted $2750, and I'd also save $150 in tax if I bought in NH, so that's a big difference in price. I'm in MA near Boston.

welcome!!! I'm sure you will get the answers you're looking for in this forum.....
my thoughts on the situation is this, The most important thing you need to look at is if the dealer in NH is willing to service the unit if your located a long distance from them. Saving $400 may not be worth it if the dealer will not service your unit. Some dealer may not be willing to service a stove they didn't sell or they may charge you a "service charge" to come to your home even if the unit is under warranty. So please make sure of the above before you make your purchase. It just may save you money in the long run going with your local dealer.

Ok thanks, I appreciate advice. I guess I'll have to weigh the price difference vs the cost of a service call and see how many service calls I'd have to have before I start losing money.

Fire jumper is correct...
Another thing to consider is your pellet supply... can you narrow down your location a bit.
For example most shops when there is a low or limited supply will only sell pellets to people whom bought the stove from them..
Also, I know there is a shop within 5 miles of Boston that sells only stoves no pellets.

meffaman said:
I'm looking for a Harman XXV and would like to know the best place to buy. By best I mean best price with service down the road. A local place has them for $2975, but a place in NH quoted $2750, and I'd also save $150 in tax if I bought in NH, so that's a big difference in price. I'm in MA near Boston.

Above comments about service are especially true about Harman - Harman is only willing to provide service and support through it's dealers, the factory doesn't even give phone support to retail customers, won't sell parts direct, etc... They apparently will only require the selling dealer to honor the warrantee, or at least do so without hefty "service fees". If you search the threads, you will see multiple horror stories about people having problems getting service on Harmans from other than the selling dealer. This policy biases me against dealing with Harman, but if I were to consider one, I'd only purchase it from the dealer that I expected to provide me with service after the sale.

Gooserider

I just recently installed the Harman XXV. I paid more than your 'high end' figure. There were lesser expensive dealers, farther away. I chose the closer dealer who coincidentally happened to have the best and longest standing reputation.

I agree with all the above.

swimmer

FYI, I paid $3161 for my XXV. I did get them to throw in a ton of pellets though.

Status
Not open for further replies.