where to buy pellets in utah

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iman

Mar 22, 2007
are there any pellet companys in utah or surounding states? I have heard of whiteflame in provo of orem but don't know much about them. Do they sell to the general public? bulk? in 40# bags? or by the ton. what local stores sell pellets IFA? lowes? Also what is the average cost. I am looking into a pellet stove to heat a house that would other wise need to be heated wih propane. I just want to get as much info as i can before making any decisions.
what dealers in Utah would you recomend? I have been thinking of getting the Quadra fire Mt vernon or the harman xxv or p68. Like the Quadra fire because it can burn other fuel like corn or wheat. Any and all info would be helpfull. Any one use corn or wheat in the mt. vernon?
Well this is a lot of questions but I know there a lot of ansers in this forum :cheese: thanks for the help

Iman, welcome to the hearth. There are lots of stores that carry pellets in Season. Right now they are few and far between. As for stores the Big Boxes, Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart all have them. Some lumber stores and supply store such as Sutherlands, Cal Ranch, IFA. Some of the stove stores also sell pellets, but because of last year's tight supply, they stayed mostly with regular customers. There are a few manufacturers within 150 miles of Salt Lake, White Flame in Orem, Jensen Lumber in Ovid Idaho, and a third in Evanston Wyoming. I was at the White Flame plant a few weeks ago and also spent some time with a stove owner who had WF pellets. I didn't like them. I don't think I would characterize them as standard grade, but definitely not premium.

Costs this year were all over the place. I paid as low as $160 a ton in August, 2006 to almost $200.00 in December. I picked up a half ton in February to zero a Lowe's stores inventory. There I paid $3.89 a bag.

You're not going to get much information from the stores right now. They don't have contracts yet, as I understand. Shipping is the kicker for where it will end up on the shelf. Some stores give a break on ton quantities, but don't expect a break. In the Fall I know Sutherlands sold a truck load a week, that's 22 ton, so there is a sold and large market here in Utah.

Status
Not open for further replies.