Where to buy the BEST gas for my saw...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So yes, parking yourself by a chainsaw spewing fumes from running leaded AVgas, even occasionally, is a bad thing boss. Its make yu dummer, amung otter thangs.​
;lol;lol;lol;lol;lol;lol;lol;lol

rilly? is tat da onist trooth?

Yuppers, it be the tooth, boss! What y'all doin' up so lates any aways, east crust times? Yo be sniffin' gas agains?

What hours is 3rd shift? I worked 3rd shift for a few years and it was 3PM-11PM. 1st shift was 11PM-7AM, 2nd was 7AM-3PM.

The clock on this board says you posted at 04:37, I'm guessing that's your time? It's 01:41 here. I'm up cause I just finished painting some cabinets and I'm taking a few min break before going to bed.

AVgas - airplanes fly it, so it MUST be better in everything, right?

uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I think if you took a look at a typical light aviation engine like the Lycoming and Continental flat 4s and 6s in your typical Cessna or Piper you might change your opinion. These beasts are nothing at all like our typical car or lawn equipment engines. These engines are very old designs (going back to the 40s): low compression, pushrod, magneto ignition, and mostly carbureted. Large displacement but quite low specific HP (150 hp typical for 300cid and the larger 300+hp models are 500-540cid) as they are optimized to produce peak power at low RPM (2000-3000) and run at constant speed for long periods while minimizing fuel consumption.

The primary goal in aviation is reliability and for that they stick with time proven designs and change slowly. There are fuel injected models, but the majority of the engines out there are still older carburetor models. There are lots of 20, 30 yr and older Cessna's out flying with engines of similar vintage (rebuilt many times). Many "new" production light engines are actually rebuilds using old crankcases as the castings have very long lifetimes and there is a lot of incentive to rebuild given the operating costs in aviation.

As mentioned a while back there has been a push to eliminate 100LL fuel altogether but the big stumbling block is the large fleet of engines in service that would have to be rebuilt with hardened valve trains and new fuel systems. In fact conversion kits to run aircraft engines on auto fuel are becoming a big business in sport aviation as recreational pilots are trying to reduce costs.

What hours is 3rd shift? I worked 3rd shift for a few years and it was 3PM-11PM. 1st shift was 11PM-7AM, 2nd was 7AM-3PM.

Around here:

1st: 6am - 2pm or 7am - 3pm
2nd: 8 hours after first
3rd: 8 hours after second, the "overnight"

The clock on this board says you posted at 04:37, I'm guessing that's your time? It's 01:41 here. I'm up cause I just finished painting some cabinets and I'm taking a few min break before going to bed.

Yeah, the military calls my hours (11pm-7am) "first shift" (which technically it is) while the civilian world labels it in order of desirability.

Huh, interesting. I think the 3-11 is the best shift. Can get stuff done during the day and you still get home at a normal hour. Plus the boss and other idiots are at home so we can actually work and not worry about 628 different b/s "safety" procedures to do a simple job.

Yeah, the military calls my hours (11pm-7am) "first shift" (which technically it is) while the civilian world labels it in order of desirability.

Huh, interesting. I think the 3-11 is the best shift. Can get stuff done during the day and you still get home at a normal hour.
The crew we have on my shift is second to none with a get 'er done attitude. Makes up for the hours. ;)

Pete - your observation is wise. Very little could be added in terms of real content here, so I think we will close this one down.

Status
Not open for further replies.