where to buy tiles for hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lmei007

Nov 12, 2007
Boston MA
I am thinking remove the existing raised hearth to make it even with the wood floor. I have searched online in Homedepot and Lowes and couldn't find tiles for hearth. I don't need these patterned tiles because they will not fit my space. I am in the Boston 02420 area. Anybody can point me to a right place for the tiles?

Any good porcelain or stone tile will work. There is nothing that special about hearth tiles. Go for the look you are trying to create.

that's good news to me. I thought they are special tiles. But they are under a wood stove, not in front of a fireplace. Still the same?

Yes.

Any tiles will work ... well not vinyl tiles.

One will have to have a good firm base for the new tile. I used a form of cement board and bonded the tile to it so they wont crack from the weight of the stove.

One will have to have a good firm base for the new tile. I used a form of cement board and bonded the tile to it so they wont crack from the weight of the stove.

Any other tips? I'm looking to do the same thing as OP

Read the manual to get the right size of pad. I have seen others mount to a heavy piece of plywood to make it moveable. Can try a search for hearth pad and see what others have done. I am primarily a pellet stove user. Had a granite one made for my folks but that was $25 a square foot at a counter top place for a wood stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.