Where to buy used Wood burning insert in Michigan?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zeusmrm

Nov 8, 2010
SE Michigan
Im been looking to buy a used wood burning insert because I cant afford a new one. I live in metro Detroit Michigan, and wouldnt mind traveling a ways to find one. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

start calling local installers and sweeps as well as looking at craiglist.

What type of chimney are you venting into? You may need a liner. Also local inspector wanted to see the UL tag on the back of the stove. Lucky I took pictures when I did the install.

Lou,

How much do you plan on spending?

Where are you in Metro Detroit?

Cheers,Hiram

PastTense said:
Check newspaper ads, garage sales, Craigslist:
http://detroit.craigslist.org/

Also, www.searchtempest.com lets you search craigslist over multiple zip codes at one time. This came in handy when buying stove number two and three. All three of my stoves were purchased used.

I believe there are other sites that allows you to do what SearchTempest does, but that is the one I use.

Hiram just might be able to help you out. Good luck.

I live in Sterling Heights, which is about 20-30 minutes north of Detroit. Ive been looking on local craigslist, and not to thrilled at whats on there. I have yet to try the other website listed.....I will do that now. How much am I looking to spend.......Well, dunno. Im thinking no more than $500 being that it will be used. Thanks for all the speedy responses everyone, extremely helpful.

Lou,

I'm in W.Bloomfield area.

This time of year is kinda slim pickings on Detroit Craigs list.

In all honesty your not going to get a whole lot of bang for your buck buying used here in the "D"

Most of what I see for sale is older stoves from around the late 1970's era when oil went sky high. Since that time as I'm sure your well aware Consumer Powers came in and put Natural gas lines in the burbs and wood stove are just not that popular.

How many sq ft is your home?

What are the dimensions of your fireplace?

Are you absolutely firm about an insert over a free standing stove?

What size is your chimney?

How tall is your chimney?

Is this supplemental heat or do you plan on using it for primary heat?

here are a few inserts.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/for/2027215220.html WOOD BURNER - $550 (MONROE)

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/for/1998547477.html Avalon Wood Stove - $650 (Dearborn, MI)

Cheers,Hiram :)

My home is a ranchconsisting of 1350 sq. ft. with an unfinished basement. My chimney is around 16 ft tall and the fireplace opening is H 23 W 36 Depth 28. I am firm on just an insert and not an oven. I plan on using the insert as supplemental heat to cut down on cost as well as an actual effectiveness for movie nights.

My home is a ranch consisting of 1350 sq. ft. with an unfinished basement. My chimney is around 16 ft tall and the fireplace opening is H 23 W 36 Depth 28. I am firm on just an insert and not an oven. I plan on using the insert as supplemental heat to cut down on cost as well as an actual effectiveness for movie nights.

Thanks Southland.

Hi Lou,

Yes, we might be able to work something out. I have the Drolet you see on the northern tool website. I need to decide which (larger) stove I'd like to go with yet but you would able to see the stove burn at my home which is just north of Flint (roughly an hour's drive for you). Ironically enough, I grew up in Sterling Heights and my mom still lives there!

Call a couple of real estate agents. The fools keep telling people to take inserts out to help sell the houses.

Status
Not open for further replies.