Where to do you source your firewood from?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The regulations are much tighter here on firewood cutting in the national forests. Pretty much not worth the effort to do legally.

My nearest NF district..."Permits cost $20 for two cords of wood, up to a limit of six cords per person, per household, per year" That's cutting already down wood within 50ft of the roads. Not hard.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/mbs/passes-permits/forestproducts
Well worth the effort.
My first choice is trees from my or my neighbors' properties, then word of mouth through whoever wants wood removed. I scored good wood last year from a friend of my parents' neighbor. Now my uncle wants a bunch of trees taken off his newly purchased property. But I still get a bunch from government permits.

Like many others here, I need to buy wood due to my age, time constraints and lack of truck and reliable dependable source. I enjoy splitting and working with the wood but it's just more cost effective for me to pay for it. I got about 6.5 cord of mostly red oak, some locust, some Osage and some maple splits delivered and stacked this past spring. Cost was $135 per cord. That's a no brainier for me. Log loads in this area are about $90-$120 per cord so the decision was easy.

I did the same thing the year before with about 4 cord. That added to what I already had put me about three years ahead which is what I learned on this forum. I'm now sitting on about 13 cord which for me is about 3 years.

Supplier is a local landscape supply operation that sells firewood in bulk at reduced cost. Normal price is $150 per cord delivered and dumped. I got a better price due to volume. He gets wood from local tree guys for free who would otherwise have to pay to dump it.

I generously tip the guys who stack the wood and everybody is happy. Finding a reliable supplier is key and being able to allow the wood to reach proper moisture levels prevents much gnashing of teeth and frustration. Good luck.

Initially for me it was the local recycling center to grab construction scraps and pallets. Then Craigslist. Now it is almost exclusively tree services. Just call them and make them aware that you'll take what won't fit in the chipper. When they have a job in the area and you're closer than their other options they'll come to you. I've had one load dropped at the house (wife wasn't crazy about that so I had to work quickly) and three loads dropped at work which will keep me out of trouble over the winter. Good luck!

So just as the topic says, where do you guys get your wood from? I use my own seasoned stuff from the trees I cut down over the years to supplement what I have to buy. Finding quality seasoned wood is always a challenge and usually ends up around $200 per cord. There has got to be a better way of doing this. I am always checking craigslist but usually doesn't yield anything worth while. We have a local farm and garden place that allows you to drop any kind of brush, limbs, and logs for free and they turn it into mulch. There are always tree service companies dropping off the trees they cut down. If only I could get them to drop off some at my house.

I have about 42 acres of woods, A friend has 30 acres and he has a backhoe IM able to cut right on my trailer. Makes it easier DSC01472.JPG

The regulations are much tighter here on firewood cutting in the national forests. Pretty much not worth the effort to do legally.

Yeah the regs are different in different areas and unfortunately not everyone can take advantage of it. Without the permit I think I'd have to wind up buying wood at some point, or else make a lot more friends with wooded land.

My nearest NF district..."Permits cost $20 for two cords of wood, up to a limit of six cords per person, per household, per year" That's cutting already down wood within 50ft of the roads. Not hard.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/mbs/passes-permits/forestproducts
Well worth the effort.

That's more or less how it shakes out in the Olympic NF. It all sounds good on paper, but try finding a cord that's already down and within 50 ft of the road.

That's more or less how it shakes out in the Olympic NF. It all sounds good on paper, but try finding a cord that's already down and within 50 ft of the road.

At first I read his post and it sounded great, but you're right, 50 feet is nothing.

OP, I got some hits when, instead of just searching Craigslist for free wood, I put an ad out for free tree removal, specifying I'd only take already downed stuff that's good to burn. When I put it in the appropriate place, the "services offered" section or whatever it's called, I got nothing. Then I move it to the "free stuff" section and got lots of emails; one was for pine which I haven't resorted to yet, one guy had tons of oak down but was 30 miles from my house. Another lady wanted me to cut a tree up that was partially on her roof. I told her she was too far away (she wasn't) and wished her good luck. I've only taken one "job" so far, and I just took what I wanted of a cherry tree. A lot of it was rotten, so I told the property owner I was done when I hit the rotten stuff, and she was just happy that some of the wood was useful. So it can work out. I have another one to check out where an older couple needs some wood and brush removed, and if I don't like the amount of wood they're willing to let me take more from their property.

Also, I'm taking advantage of a NJ Homeowner Firewood Program that allows, for $25/cord, me to cut wood in a State Park ten miles from my house. So far I've struck out with the tree services in my area.

Last edited:
I have a few options.

1. I live on 32 acres, 18 of which is wooded. If you cut right and practice TSI then i'll never run out of wood.
2. My FIL built a house on a 7 acre lot. I am still cleaning up his wood piles.
3. My brothers FIL owns his contracting company. Mound of a wood if I want to make the drive. It's not worth it since it's 30 miles away, unless I am already making trip.

Some Red Oak I cleaned up at the FIL this past Sunday. Still have a 70' x 30" hickory that is laying on a steep embankment that we cut down last summer.

Attachments

• photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 133
I have a few options also. I have two acres of forest behind my house that I own. I also have 12 acre woodlot 8 miles away from my house.

My neighbors also have some woods that they let me cut in when stuff has fallen down.

Check craigslist year round, people clearing lots want it gone asap. Stop by and check these places out so you are prepared to haul as much out as possible quickly. Look for homeowners selling their homes, many times they want to get rid of seasoned wood cheap to clean up the home prior to sale. Keep in contact with all the people with wood and let them know you want it all and you are coming back. A Red Lobster Gift card to the ones with several cord keeps them wanting you around. I am working three separate lots that have probably 5-6 cord still and access is easy. Keep watching craigslist.

Status
Not open for further replies.