Where to drill hole for draft reading?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tutu_sue

Jan 21, 2006
Northern NJ
Okay I got my Dwyer meter today and I need to drill a 1/4" hole in the stove pipe to take the draft reading. I just have no idea where to put the hole. Anybody know?

The stove is rear vented to a tee and the telescoping double wall pipe about 4 feet high. I plan on using a screw to seal hole when done if that's okay.

I'd think you'd want to measure as close to the stove as possible, since one is most often concerned about products of combustion being readily removed from the stove.

Do you plan on testing a cold or hot flue? I think the meters are good for up to 140F, but if you can find a high temp hose (silicon perhaps) it shouldn't hurt to test the hot flue for a short period; flue should be creating partial vacuum after all. Might want to install some kind of port, rather than just sticking the hose into an active flue, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.