Where to find 2 in straight stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

save$

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2008
Chelsea Maine
I am using 2 in flex pipe for the OAK, but would prefer 2 in straight pipe with one 90 degree elbow for my OAK. will use the flex pipe behind the stove. My problem is trying to find 2 in. metal stove pipe. If I have looked at one web site, I've looked at 50 (or more) with no luck. Any one have any contact where I might be able to order this? Total length is about 5 feet. I have to go up and over a 50 in cement back wall. (lower level of split ranch) thanks

If you are using flex pipe try getting some PVC pipe to fit into the flex pipe. it doesn't have to be anything fancy because you are drawing outside air into the pipe and into the flex before the stove.
The other idea would be to go to a place that makes car exh pipe as for a price they could bend and form about anything you might need.

rona said:
.....The other idea would be to go to a place that makes car exh pipe as for a price they could bend and form about anything you might need.

I agree

The other idea would be to go to a place that makes car exh pipe as for a price they could bend and form about anything you might need.[/quote] X2 , If you can draw it, they can bend it ! :zip:

rona said:
If you are using flex pipe try getting some PVC pipe to fit into the flex pipe. it doesn't have to be anything fancy because you are drawing outside air into the pipe and into the flex before the stove.
The other idea would be to go to a place that makes car exh pipe as for a price they could bend and form about anything you might need.

I did just that! it works fantastic too, but in another threat about OAK, I received this comment from a commercial pellet stove rep: "not trying to be picky but PVC is not allowable for OAK on any solid fuel burnig appliance anymore , the possibility of excessive heat backventing and distorting the pipe is the reason i think. needs to be a metal pipe at least 26 ga"
I wonder what ga. that two in. aluminum flex pip is that comes with the England stoves?
I know a lot of folks use some PVC, but if it goes against codes, then maybe there is a potential avoidable hazard. I think I'll go to an auto shop and follow up on your suggestion for a pipe that they bend. If I can get two in. there shouldn't be any problem
I want a neat, but safe install. thanks for the help.

Different brands of stoves seem to be just plain different design then others. Some ( Bixby)even use a 3 inch rubber flex hose inside the stove for their air supply.
If there was such a danger or possibility of fire or smoke coming in contact with that air supply what about all the stoves installed that just use room air?? Makes you think doesn't it? I guess personally I would rather take my chances with some pvc pipe sucking cold winter air into my12 inch metal flex pipe then into my stove rather then a gas furnace that could go poof and there goes the house.
As a alternative to car exhaust you could use metal conduit pipe.

rona and others,

You can not use PVC pipe as an OAK, it is not in compliance with code, as for there being a 3" rubber hose in the Bixby, it is quite possible that it is really a high temperature silicone hose and not "regular" rubber.

When a stove is installed without an OAK the exhaust gases (that can escape under certain conditions) cool rapidly when they leave the stove, that isn't the case if they can't expand (the OAK blocks the rapid expansion and cooling of the exhaust).

SmokeyTheBear said:
rona and others,

You can not use PVC pipe as an OAK, it is not in compliance with code, as for there being a 3" rubber hose in the Bixby, it is quite possible that it is really a high temperature silicone hose and not "regular" rubber.
When a stove is installed without an OAK the exhaust gases (that can escape under certain conditions) cool rapidly when they leave the stove, that isn't the case if they can't expand (the OAK blocks the rapid expansion and cooling of the exhaust).

Hi Smokey; here's my question along this line; is metal pipe needed if the distance to the outside is quite long, or after so far from the stove is pvc okay? I base this on the idea that I would like to run the OAK twenty ~ feet across the cellar before reaching the outside. I kind of always thought that it needed to be metal where it is close to the stove due to tempeture, but have not researched this.
Thanks.

I would like to see what type of circumstances allow for that exhaust to go backwards into the air intake. is this problem found in all brands of stoves? Is it found both in negative and positive pressure type stoves? It seems a stretch for me to assume there is no potential problem or hazard if the hole for the air intake is open in your house but in a pipe it can become a hazard.
I realize the powers that be say this is a no no but most outside fresh air kits have about a foot of flex pipe and the rest seems like it can be very thin aluminum pipe. Sometimes rules have been made for wood stoves and corn/pellet stoves were given the same rules even though they are both very different.

From what I got out of a few threads was that when you loose power. The OAK becomes an exhaust outlet as the heat will travel out the OAK as well as the exhaust flue. I tested this on my bigE and it infact had smoke coming out the OAK and the OAK was getting hot before the fire died out.

A couple of further comments and I'll be done as far as this thread is concerned.

1: OAK longer than a certain length needs to have its diameter increased (just like your vent pipe)
2: The entire length needs to be metal.

SmokeyTheBear said:
A couple of further comments and I'll be done as far as this thread is concerned.

1: OAK longer than a certain length needs to have its diameter increased (just like your vent pipe)
2: The entire length needs to be metal.
I am using selkirks direct temp venting, outside air is brought in around the outside of exhaust pipe in the center. Only one hole in the wall and looks like regular stove pipe on the inside of the house. But if i had to run a extended oak maybe use lightweight conduit as it is sold in 10' lengths and there are alot of pre-made bends and hangers available. Just my 0.02 Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.