Where to find specs for older commercial vehicles?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hass

Minister of Fire
Mar 20, 2011
Alabama, NY
On my list of things I have to get this spring (probably more like late summer) is a new truck. Perferrably a class 6. I wanted to go bigger, but if I did the fiance and my dad couldn't drive it if need be. I'm not saying they would but if they have to they wouldn't be able to. No air brakes of course...

Anyway... that's all irrelevant. Where on earth can you find information on older trucks? I can't find specifications or manuals or anything about them. I'm looking in the 80-90s range. I'm looking further down south mostly, because trucks driven mainly up here are total crap after 400k miles. So I'll end up having to either fly down or get a ride down from someone in order to pick it up. But I'm also wanting to make sure it's able to pull a decent weight as well (14k min).

I was actually dead set on getting a M35 (probably A2), until I realized the max towing on it is 10k lbs on road. Even 1/2 ton trucks can pull 10k these days... So is there any resource out there to find such info? Like GCWR, GAWRs, wheelbase... etc...? Even info on the drive train would be helpful as well.

Ask specific questions about specific vehicles in the DIY forum. You will get your answers.

There isn't realy any general info on trucks over 10,000 GVW because there are alot of options. It can take a couple hours at a dealer to spec order a new class 8 truck to your requirements if you know exactly what you want. The options are endless.
If your dead set on a certain truck get the VIN # and call a dealer and order a "Line Sheet". It's prolly goin to cost you $50+ but it will tell you every single part/component on the truck. I get them with with all the class 8 trucks I buy so I can order parts without having to tear it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.