Where to get firewood in Central KY?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not in Kentucky, and I never buy firewood, but I think the answer you are going to get is that you probably can't buy seasoned firewood. Many (most? almost all?) people who try to buy seasoned firewood find that what they get really isn't seasoned. Even if you find an honest wood guy, and I am sure there are many, you still have to find one whose definition of seasoned matches yours. Some guys will honestly say their wood is seasoned if they cut it a couple of months a go and split it last week. However, that wouldn't mean the wood has the type of lowered moisture content you expect from seasoned wood. it just means they think seasoning takes a couple of months in log form. Most people n this forum would disagree.

I think you should buy firewood now and stack it in a nice, open stack (criss crossed pieces, single rows) in a sunny, windy spot the rest of summer. You should get pretty decent firewood by winter that way, especially if you have something besides oak.

Status
Not open for further replies.