Where to get Micore?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dtabor

Feb 8, 2007
Lake Elmore, VT
Ive never heard of the Micore everyone talks about for hearth pad material. Is this something you can get at a place like Home Depot or the like? Is that the common name that Id ask for?

D

Micore gave me the number of a regional distributor, who in turn gave me a local shop who could order it for me. You may have to tell the shop that they can order it and who they can order it from.

Since you are not too far from me, I picked it up at Curtis Lumber in Ballston Spa, NY. Exit 12 on the Northway.

Matt

I did an internet search an got the company that makes micore. They had a link to distributors and I found the one place in Portland Or that sells it. In fact, I'm heading there tomorrow to pick up a 4x10 sheet for my new hearth.

We bought our Micore from the fireplace store where we bought our stove. They advised us to use it, but of course we couldn't find any place that sold it retail near us, so they sold us a hunk of Micore 300 for about $50. We figured that was less work than putting down 5 layers of cement board. Anyplace that builds custom hearths would probably have it, i.e., most places that sell and install wood stoves.

$45.00 for TWO 4X8 sheets of 1/2" 300 at Kamco
$46.00 for TWO full sheets of DUROCK too.

dtabor said:
Ive never heard of the Micore everyone talks about for hearth pad material. Is this something you can get at a place like Home Depot or the like? Is that the common name that Id ask for?

D

I think I called their customer service number here:

http://www.gypsumsolutions.com/cust_service.asp?content=contact

and they sent me samples (12" long x 6" wide by 1/2/" thick) of Micore 300 and Micore 160....they'll actually send you whatever samples you want. Micore 160 has a higher R value than 300 but 300 is a bit tougher, slightly heavier and has slightly better mechanical properties (strength, etc) but the 160 seemed very sturdy!

Thanks all for the replies....

I found a Micore distributor that is in the same town as Home Depot here in VT!!

D

Status
Not open for further replies.