Where to get OAK for m55 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

radiorental

Mar 7, 2014
ma
My fireplace is in the center of the house but the hearth has an ash door, which I use to run the power and tstat wires in to the basement. I tried hooking up some flexible 3" duct for a OAK setup but it keeps hanging up on the ash door when I put try to install the insert back in to the frame. I think I need to create some form of coupling that the stove intake slides into

I'm having a hard time finding any details online about the OAK. Can anyone help me out with details? Online stores that sell them? Images/Schematics?

thanks!

Last edited:
Take the ash door out.

"Take the ash door out."
It still hangs on the concrete. I just said 'ash door' so people understand what part of the fireplace I'm referring to. I've tried everything but it's so tight back there that it's almost impossible to put the insert back in without crimping the duct. And no way of knowing whether I did or not - hence the question about how the official oak is designed. I guess it's supposed to just go straight out the back of the fireplace.

Take the ash door out.

tjnamtiw is correct as long as there isn't too much competition for make-up air in the basement (clothes dryer, air handler/furnace, etc), taking the ash door out will serve as an OAK. The stove air intake will be pulling air from your basement instead of outside... An OAK can be installed through the basement wall but, depending on length of run, you may have to increase diameter of pipe (EVL). Just looked at the manual ... not very helpful with regards to OAK particulars. Page 11
http://www.enviro.com/images/manual...uction M55C-FPI Domestic Technical Manual.pdf

The other option is to install a liner for the OAK with termination at the cap below the exhaust (can`t recall # inches below). This option only works if the exhaust liner runs to top of chimney (not terminated part-way down above smoke shelf).

"taking the ash door out will serve as an OAK."

Wont that setup also draw warm air from the livingroom too? Somewhat defeating the point of having a proper OAK.

Anyway, I'll have to leave it as-is. I have about 16" of duck attached to the intake that terminates roughly over the ash pit hole. Hopefully that will draw more from the basement.

"taking the ash door out will serve as an OAK."

Wont that setup also draw warm air from the livingroom too? Somewhat defeating the point of having a proper OAK.

Anyway, I'll have to leave it as-is. I have about 16" of duck attached to the intake that terminates roughly over the ash pit hole. Hopefully that will draw more from the basement.
Take the door out to allow more room to run a piece of flex aluminum dryer vent through it and down to basement. Sorry, should have been more specific. I run mine into my ash cleanout which has a door outside. I stuff insulation all around pipe. It works, I guess, but Quads are very poorly sealed for an OAK to work effectively. My second stove is in an 'inside' fireplace with no ash cleanout so It runs without an OAK.

I don't think there is a OAK kit specifically for the insert. I have been planning to install an OAK this year, was going to stub it above the smoke shelf in the flu and vent the cap, but am also evaluating using the ash dump, which has a clean out in the basement. I just installed a 6-inch flex pipe "jumper" from the ash clean out to a third unused flu to draw from there. Prior to this, there was a very strong draft from the basement to the ash dump. This seemed to cool off the basement quite a bit, sucking any residual heat from the furnace and dryer. Next step is to pull the stove and see if I can fit a 3 inch flex stub into the dump without crushing the pipe when I push the stove back in. Will leave a belly in the pipe to provide enough slack to pull it out far enough to disconnect it when cleaning. If that doesn't work, I'll go back to the main flu option, but I will need to vent my cap for that. There was also a post a while back where somebody cored their chimney directly in line with the intake, and made their own slip fitting, but I don't want to put a hole in my chimney

Status
Not open for further replies.