Where to get Wood Gun refractory?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if anyone else thought of doing this to. I was planning on buying the refractory from Alternate Heating Systems and then seeing if the local community colleges concrete technologies class could make a mold and make them for me cheaper. Or can I get them somewhere else cheaper. Just a thought, what do you think?

I'll be following the above thread to see how well the steel holds up. I did order the center nozzle pieces 2 years ago when they were running a sale. Be happy to take exact meaurements for you if you wish....even with the discount they were not what I would call "cheap".

side note, plan to visit AHS this Thursday afternoon since I'll be in the area, finally going to pick up the smoke exhaust fan. I probably wouldn't do this but the Mrs just can't seem to reload without some smoke rolling out.

edit: Just placed my order and got 15% off, perhaps an unadvertised "sale" going on?

muncybob said:
I'll be following the above thread to see how well the steel holds up. I did order the center nozzle pieces 2 years ago when they were running a sale. Be happy to take exact meaurements for you if you wish....even with the discount they were not what I would call "cheap".
side note, plan to visit AHS this Thursday afternoon since I'll be in the area, finally going to pick up the smoke exhaust fan. I probably wouldn't do this but the Mrs just can't seem to reload without some smoke rolling out.
edit: Just placed my order and got 15% off, perhaps an unadvertised "sale" going on?

Bob, you will enjoy your smoke hood. Did you set up a tour of the facility with someone? Just curious. What did the center nozzle pieces run you? I am trying to remember what they told me. $120? Something like that.

Thanks for the replies and the link. That looks like a good idea for the center slotted brick. Now, when I replace the center slotted pieces I noticed that I also need the end plug and door refractories too. But do I need to replace the refractory linings on the sides also? Thanks again.

If you look up "Inland Refractories" I believe they are a national company. They sell hundreds of types of refactory mortor. I use a type called Moldit D. This comes in a 50 lb. bag for 28 bucks. I am using it to make molds to slump glass in. I only need to go up to 1200 degrees, but my understanding is that it will hold up to 2000 degrees. It mixes with water just the same as cement. You can mold it in sand. I place saran wrap between the sand and the Moldit D for a clean seperation.

Gasifier said:
muncybob said:

Bob, you will enjoy your smoke hood. Did you set up a tour of the facility with someone? Just curious. What did the center nozzle pieces run you? I am trying to remember what they told me. $120? Something like that.

Have not been to their new place yet and don't think I'll have time for a tour...your price guesstimate sounds about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.